• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31" tires on stock XJ?

winkosmosis said:
Well I posted this on jeepforum but there probably aren't many people running this size if any... Maybe someone here does.

I bought my XJ with the plan to do a 3.5" lift and use 32" tires, but I'll probably hold off on the lift for a while because:
a) I live in Houston and may be here for a while longer, and I don't want to be a poser who lifts for 99.9% street use (that .1% is the rare occasion that I'd take a trip to a private park).
b) XJs are the only Jeep I think comes from the factory at a height that actually looks good IMO, so unlike a WJ I don't feel like I'm driving a minivan. Well a Volvo wagon is a better comparison for an XJ.

30" and smaller tires are too small though, and if I lift it sooner rather than later they would look way too small. Can I use 31x10.5 tires (on the stock wheels)? Would I need to extend bumpstops and lose suspension travel? How much would I need to trim? I'd do cut & fold + and flare relocation in the front, but the back doesn't have any room to move the flares up... Or would I just need to trim the bumper endcaps?
couple months ago my mom picked up a 98 Limited with 31's on stock suspention, had to add a couple washers behing the stearing stops, to keep the tires from hittin control arms, but even driving around town the tires would hit the flares both frt and rear while hitting bumps, i picked up a nice set of stock tires to replace the 31's with so there wouldnt be anymore rubbing, i say atleast a 2" BB, to clear 31's, shackle and spacer will work fine, or instead of shackle you can add the main leaf from another XJ pack, heres a pic of the Jeep on 31's stock

new_jp.jpg

Your mom's XJ looked awesome with 31s.

Can you gain any clearance from removing the flares, or does the sheetmetal follow the same line? What I'm wondering is if 1.5" + flareless will clear 31s. I was going to cut and fold, but now that I think about it, you can only cut and fold once right? I might end up having to cut more later... Like if I put 33s on 3.5" lift

Also, any more opinions on shackle vs AAL?

True, 2 inch blocks do stress the springs a little. That's why I said if the springs are good. I notice a slight more wrap in the rear springs since using blocks, but no sag, and everything is solid back there. Nothing scary. Blocks probably shorten the life of the spring, but those "Stacked" leaf packs and aals ride way stiff!!! If you are against blocks, Shackles are the best budget option out there.

when i bought my truck it had 30-9.50-r15 goodyears on stock cherokee wheels no lift no rubbing put 31''s on there same set up rubed on the lca's at full lock no rubing on the fenders though

Back