• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31" tires on stock XJ?

winkosmosis said:
Half inch.. Jeez. The tires on it now are 235 and they are small (but worn out).

I think I'll get the 1.5" BB. It won't help rubbing but it will at least give me 1.5" more suspension travel.. And I really hope I won't have to do an SYE or t-case drop.

If you are going to do that use a full length add a leaf in the back spring pack, the shackles kill your springs and the shorty add a leaf rides like crap.

I ran a set of 30" x 9.5" x 15"s on stock suspension, it works well with only minimal rub at full flex. 31"s seem to be the magic number for rubbing on stock springs though, that 1/2" of increased tire seems to hit all of the spots the 30"s barely clear.

If you plan on staying at 31"s or even 32"s, invest in a quality 3" lift kit with new coils and full leaf packs, you'll regret a budget boost, most of them aren't worth the time or money.

I used a set of 31x10.50 Goodyear Wrangler A/T tires on a 1989 XJ with no lift, and for the most part, I had no rubbing issues. I did remove the bumpstops. I later installed a 2" lift and trimmed the fenders up and moved the flares.

Side note - you can trim up and relocate rear flares. I did it on that XJ, you just hack the flare in half, mount one half to the QP and one to the door.

fubar XJ said:
I ran a set of 30" x 9.5" x 15"s on stock suspension, it works well with only minimal rub at full flex. 31"s seem to be the magic number for rubbing on stock springs though, that 1/2" of increased tire seems to hit all of the spots the 30"s barely clear.

If you plan on staying at 31"s or even 32"s, invest in a quality 3" lift kit with new coils and full leaf packs, you'll regret a budget boost, most of them aren't worth the time or money.

I don't like the idea of 3" without an SYE. I also think 31" tires look too small on the 4"+ that 3" lifts seem to come out to. The costs add up pretty quick too, with the SYE, track bar, etc. A budget boost is like $120, and there is a shop nearby that will probably install it for about $200.

winkosmosis said:
I don't like the idea of 3" without an SYE. I also think 31" tires look too small on the 4"+ that 3" lifts seem to come out to. The costs add up pretty quick too, with the SYE, track bar, etc. A budget boost is like $120, and there is a shop nearby that will probably install it for about $200.

What year is your XJ? The early ones are fine up to about 4.5" inches of lift with no SYE, sometimes you don't even need a TC drop.

I've heard that on later ones ('95 and later) the vibes are worse, and you may need some form of correction at around 3" of lift.

EDIT: I see from the pic yours is a late model. You'll have to get an opinion from a late model owner with a lift on the vibes issue.

I might get Rusty's 2" coils for the front ($100)) and 1.5" AAL or shackle for the rear. I'll have to measure to see if that will make it even or make it tilt back.

If you have good leafs in the back already, you can get 2 inch blocks for thirty bucks. They are a cinch to install, and will work great with the 2 inch coils for tire clearance and light wheeling...

fenders and flares are over rated, just keep cutting. I run 35's on the same lift I did with 32's.

mine:
mikedashg4.jpg

not mine:
nicefenders2.jpg

nicefenders.jpg

I run 30x9.5x15 with a 3" lift. Until about two weeks ago it was on stock suspension (no lift) and if my 20 year old son sat in the back tires would rub when I hit medium size bumps in the road (son is about 220 lbs).

This is on an 01 cherokee and I can't see 31's would have fit at all without cutting the fenders and some serious rubbing.

Here is pictures of before and after the lift with the 30x9.5 MT's

Before lift
BC3-1-8-3.JPG

after lift
Lifted_Mo_resized.jpg

winkosmosis said:
Well I posted this on jeepforum but there probably aren't many people running this size if any... Maybe someone here does.

I bought my XJ with the plan to do a 3.5" lift and use 32" tires, but I'll probably hold off on the lift for a while because:
a) I live in Houston and may be here for a while longer, and I don't want to be a poser who lifts for 99.9% street use (that .1% is the rare occasion that I'd take a trip to a private park).
b) XJs are the only Jeep I think comes from the factory at a height that actually looks good IMO, so unlike a WJ I don't feel like I'm driving a minivan. Well a Volvo wagon is a better comparison for an XJ.

30" and smaller tires are too small though, and if I lift it sooner rather than later they would look way too small. Can I use 31x10.5 tires (on the stock wheels)? Would I need to extend bumpstops and lose suspension travel? How much would I need to trim? I'd do cut & fold + and flare relocation in the front, but the back doesn't have any room to move the flares up... Or would I just need to trim the bumper endcaps?

I searched but only found posts about 30"

Thanks in advance :looney:

Not much sag, almost exactly even.
xjsidesmall.jpg

On my '97 I ran 30" tires on the stock rims with no problems. After a 3" lift I got a deal on some Rubicon 31" tires and wheels and they work fine on my rig with a 3" lift. Without a lift you will have problems with 31's. Hope this helps-
Jeffy-97XJ

xj88superjeep said:
If you have good leafs in the back already, you can get 2 inch blocks for thirty bucks. They are a cinch to install, and will work great with the 2 inch coils for tire clearance and light wheeling...

I second this. I did a cheap 3" lift initially that sagged soon after to probably 1.5-2". If you are looking for some added height off the bat and do not want to compromise ride quality do the new coils and a 2" block. I'd even say do a 1" block and a 1" spacer up front, that way you don't need to replace your shocks. And stick with 30 X 9.50's. You will be much happier. I was constantly rubbing the 31's I put on and had a $h*tty ride quality. 31's are perfect on my 4" lift I think. Unless you plan on doing more than forrest roads, don't do the 3.5" lift either. Just my $.02.

:cheers: I disagree with a 2" block. Yes, it will ride nice but it doesn't work off road, even on mild terrain. My son ran a 2" block for a few months & I followed him on trails a few times & it looked scary. There is way too much flex in a stock spring for a 2" block. I've seen them work with a big spring pack but they are not good on a stock spring. My sons springs lost most of their arch after a couple of serious off road excursions. I'm not anti block, I have a 1" block with my 2 1/2" Pro-Comp leafs.Just my opinion based on my experience

I'm not going to do a block. They look pretty scary, like the leaf is going to bend like a pretzel or break.

Also though, I keep hearing that AALs result in a rough ride. What about 1.5" shackles? Seems like it should be a better ride than stock because the leaf angles back.

2" blocks are not scary. 6" to 12" blocks are scary. The surface area that the leaf springs rest on is the same as the axle, so I am not sure how flex effects anything? You will still have the height with the stock ride. Sounds like people don't recommend the shackles. Blocks are not advisable in general. I am just saying if you are trying to cheap it, you don't need anything too fancy. AAL's are horrible and create a terrible ride. Others have said no shackles. It does not leave much else to consider.

Last edited:
deisenba said:
2" blocks are not scary. 6" to 12" blocks are scary. The surface area that the leaf springs rest on is the same as the axel, so I am not sure how flex effects anything? Sounds like people don't recommend the shackles.

Any blocks on the not so stiff XJ leafs will apply more leverage to the leafs under articulation and torque loads. Meaning it'll wear them out faster.

cherokee chuck said:
:cheers: I disagree with a 2" block. Yes, it will ride nice but it doesn't work off road, even on mild terrain. My son ran a 2" block for a few months & I followed him on trails a few times & it looked scary. There is way too much flex in a stock spring for a 2" block. I've seen them work with a big spring pack but they are not good on a stock spring. My sons springs lost most of their arch after a couple of serious off road excursions. I'm not anti block, I have a 1" block with my 2 1/2" Pro-Comp leafs.Just my opinion based on my experience

How did the blocks cause the spring to lose their arch? Was it because they were overflexed? I hare a 1" block in the rear to level out my rig (been there 6 years no prob), but I went with a whole new spring pack because the AAL's were junk.

mattbred said:
Any blocks on the not so stiff XJ leafs will apply more leverage to the leafs under articulation and torque loads. Meaning it'll wear them out faster.

I'll buy that. But I doubt a small block adds much of anything. Sounds like he is going to be on the road most of the time though.

deisenba said:
How did the blocks cause the spring to lose their arch?
they can and will cause axle wrap wich kills springs

Back