• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" or 4.5" complete lift

On my 99 DD, with auto, I did and recommend an OME lift kit from DPG. I further suggest, JKS lower arms, drive shaft w/slip yoke tail-end for trans., gas tank skid, trans skid (TnT), lower arm skids, armored axle pumpkin-covers, extended brake lines, and I suggest bumpers (F&R).

Also probably new radiator and cooling system/parts.

You can do 31s" without regearing or cutting. Higher and and you will have to do both. I swithched from 31s" to 33s" and it is considerable more work and cost and for a DD, probably not my recommendation.

Higher, or bigger tires, costs more and is less road-friendly. You can find much information by searching this site, (cutting, gearing etc.), and call Dirk @ DPG and talk with him.

Keep in mind RE isn't American made, their parts are jap made now so the quality isn't what it used to be. I'm not saying dont get it , just more of a heads up

What are you talking about doc, all the best stuff is made in Japan

I've been searching around and learning a lot about the XJ and what I can do. I've been thinking about 31s just for the daily-friendliness. As for the armor, not sure if I'll be using it in such a capacity to really require armor.

You guys are awesome though, really helpful and I greatly appreciate it!
On my 99 DD, with auto, I did and recommend an OME lift kit from DPG. I further suggest, JKS lower arms, drive shaft w/slip yoke tail-end for trans., gas tank skid, trans skid (TnT), lower arm skids, armored axle pumpkin-covers, extended brake lines, and I suggest bumpers (F&R).

Also probably new radiator and cooling system/parts.

You can do 31s" without regearing or cutting. Higher and and you will have to do both. I swithched from 31s" to 33s" and it is considerable more work and cost and for a DD, probably not my recommendation.

Higher, or bigger tires, costs more and is less road-friendly. You can find much information by searching this site, (cutting, gearing etc.), and call Dirk @ DPG and talk with him.

When I talked to re they said that their coils were made here and also that every thing except some shock parts were made here.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or give us a call.
1-256-442-0607

Good luck in your future suspension upgrades.

I'd like to lift my stock '99 either 3" or 4.5" but I've a few concerns. My intent for this is for daily driving and the occasional mud or snow on some trails, but not necessarily rock crawling. So I'll probably go with 31s or 32s on it.

With that said, if I went with a 4.5" lift vs a 3" lift, what additional mods or add one would I have to do? After reading around it seems there may be possible steering mods or drive shaft, but I wasn't sure if that was for crawling purposes. If I could lift 4.5" with just a stand alone kit that'd be great, but if its a monumental task for an extra 1.5" I might pass.

With brands I've searched around on here and I see just as many people bashing Rusty's and praising RC as there are the other way around. Just to name a couple. So with that, I'll probably purchase on price and completeness of the kit since they're all awesome and they all suck at the same time lol

I've done some searching and researching and browsing around and I think I've come up with how I want to approach this.

For the suspension...RE 3.5" Superflex w/springs, RE adjustable trackbar, Skyjacker shocks and a 1" TC drop. As for the wheels, Cragar soft 8s 15x8 chrome (my ride is black and I think the chrome would go well plus everyone has black steelies) and BFG or Procomp 33x12.5x15s.

A couple questions... First is, should I go with a 2 or 4 degree shim on that? And, am I missing anything? Can I get it on the road with that? I do have plans for a SYE in the future, btw.

Everything I've read, this will be suitable for a daily, I just want to make sure I didn't leave anything out. Also, will I experience vibes on this do you think?

I've done some searching and researching and browsing around and I think I've come up with how I want to approach this.

For the suspension...RE 3.5" Superflex w/springs, RE adjustable trackbar, Skyjacker shocks and a 1" TC drop. As for the wheels, Cragar soft 8s 15x8 chrome (my ride is black and I think the chrome would go well plus everyone has black steelies) and BFG or Procomp 33x12.5x15s.

A couple questions... First is, should I go with a 2 or 4 degree shim on that? And, am I missing anything? Can I get it on the road with that? I do have plans for a SYE in the future, btw.

Everything I've read, this will be suitable for a daily, I just want to make sure I didn't leave anything out. Also, will I experience vibes on this do you think?

Before you get serious about sye and shims etc get your lift on align it and go from there. I'm at 4" and no shims vibes TC drop or anything and I take mine out and beat it up... My 2000 xj at 4" only needed a 1" TC drop... Before you waste money see if you need to first.

My buddy is at 6-7" before he needed a sye

Okay so hold off the etc drop and shims for now and evaluate. I'll try it out.

Those tires and wheels should fit with that lift, correct? Maybe some trimming?

If your willing to trim fenders here's what 4" lift looks like
4" on 33x10.50's
IMG_0575.jpg

4" on 31x10.50's
06784642-C500-4D60-B972-DA276618D928-6624-00000341C43CBAD4.jpg

with trimming you'll be ok. I'd personally go with a 33x10.5, but I like skinnys better on XJ's

Back