• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.4 engine swap info

Drop the tank? Not here!

The sending unit is on the front of my tank. Just rotate the lock ring (the hardest part) and pull the hoses, wires, etc. and pull the unit! I did not have to drop the tank!

Here's a couple progress pics
fa82c58a.jpg

fa82c588.jpg

That will be nice!

I like the looks of that!

Re: That will be nice!

Ghost said:
I like the looks of that!

Yeah, me too. I'm sending the manifold to HPC to have it powder coated. It's strange but there's more room in the engine bay with the new engine, less hoses and lines running all over the place.

Good question.......

That I'm not sure of b/c I swaped out my Body harness for a 94 harness too. (It just made the swap to the 94 motor easyer and cheaper!) But I have a 84-87 or so FSM if you need me to try and find the info I will. However, I believe they are the same, but if not the sending unit could be pulled off yours and put on the newer one. I think! What year is yours again?

it's an 84. Pretty much as old as they get.
I PM'd Egypt1, he said he's got a pump for me, so all I need to to is make sure it will work and then go from there.
I'm going to take a walk over to Mepco (they're just next door) and ask Brian if we can measure their sending units there. That should work I think.

It should work......

But like I said if not you can alway pull your sending unit and put it on the one Egypt1 sends you. He sold me a sending unti with the pump for like $50. Perty reasonable if you ask me. But then again the salvage guys around here want an arm and leg for that!

Everything's going well, things are taking a little longer than I'd anticipated. I've just got some little bolts and things to throw in, then it's just waiting for my wiring to return. Once it's back, I can throw it on and (hopefully) start her up.

Here's the latest progress pics.

The engine is on a bit of an angle since I haven't bolted the transfercase mount up yet.
fa39e683.jpg

The AC compressor had to be removed as it wanted to be right where the motor mount was.
fa39e692.jpg

and the real reason this has taken so long.
fa397064.jpg

crimsonride said:

VERY impressive!!! Being a Camaro owner, I know the issues with the 3.4 very well. I'm glad to see that our V6's that we swap out for V8's are going to good use!!! I look forward to seeing it complete with wiring next!! Kudos :cheers:

Steve

TealV6 said:
VERY impressive!!! Being a Camaro owner, I know the issues with the 3.4 very well. I'm glad to see that our V6's that we swap out for V8's are going to good use!!! I look forward to seeing it complete with wiring next!! Kudos :cheers:

Steve

Where's the MJ mullet rockin' smilie when you need it. :moon:

Very nice indeed! You should come to Tellico this year so we can compare the 3.4 swap in a 84 with a 94 2.5 swap in a 84! LOL!

Finally got it started! After waiting almost three months for Dynatech to get my wiring back to me and lots of trouble shooting I've got it to run.
Only problem is the computer shuts it down after about a second, it must be throwing a code or something. I need to find a OBD2 tool.
As for Dynatech, I say never EVER use them! They did a decent job of modifying my wiring but it's probably about three hours of work and ten dollars in parts, all in all it cost me $288 and took them close to three months to complete. They cashed my check back in mid December and after TONS of unreturned phone calls and emails I was finally able to get ahold of them. Most of the time when I would call I would just get a message saying they were unable to take calls "in order to improve productivity". Sometimes I would just get a message that would say they were unable to take messages and to call back later. Then when I finally got ahold of them they said it was done and ready to be packaged and shipped, a week later I called and they said it was still sitting there and then I finally got it the next week. I just got the run around with them, So. Long story short. Use fuel injection technologies or someone else.
It should be on the road in a week, I'll let you guys know how It works.

-Chris

Back