• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd help

Jaeger15

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 96 jeep cherokee sport 2wd 4.0 auto from Florida and Is the cleanest body I have ever seen especially living in Wisconsin. I want to convert it to 4wd. I have a donor jeep laying around and I hope I can just take all the parts I need and just bolt it all to mine. It's a 97 jeep cherokee sport 4.0 auto. Would that work as a swap from tyranny and tcase?

It should all bolt up. The only possible difference I can think of is the transmission electronics. Look up the interchange data for things like NSS and solenoids, and check the physical connector for compatibility. May need to swap the transfer case speed sender too, I think the connector on that changed as well.

You'll have to cut the plugs off of the 97 trans harness and splice your 96 harness on. All the wires are the same, the physical plug changed shapes.

You can move the speedometer housing from your 96 trans into your 97 t-case and it bolts right in.

You'll need some aftermarket shifter setup, as your body will be missing the mount for the 4 wheel drive shifter (and the aftermarkets are better anyway).

You won't have 4 wheel drive indicator lights, which is fine for most people.

Fairly bolt in though, yes. Have done this swap a few times now.

There is a floor plate covering the t-case shifter hole and the screw holes for the body mount linkage have dimples in the body to drill out then the stock linkage bolts right up. The wiring for the lights is fairly easy to get working as well. The previous comments are spot on about the trans stuff. I converted our 99 with a t-case from an 89 by changing the input gear. I bought a trans from a 99 so the electronics would match up. I spent 650 doing ours including rebuilding the 242 and a SYE.

Back