• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

27 or 30 spline for Front Axle Upgrade? Opinions wanted!

If you want to do 30 spline, just do it. It is stronger.

You'll get a hundred opinions here, and pretty much everyone of them is "buy what i bought" or "buy what i want" so that people can validate their personal opinions.

I cant justify going to 30 spline. just get 27 spline chromos. cheap, simple, and easy to replace. just the way a dana 30 should be

Exactly.

If you want to do 30 spline, just do it. It is stronger.

You'll get a hundred opinions here, and pretty much everyone of them is "buy what i bought" or "buy what i want" so that people can validate their personal opinions.
In my case, I'm simply saying "Dont do what I did" witch is exactly what he's asking about.

Again, You cannot make the pinion any stronger, But you can make everything around it stronger, Coincidentally making the pinion the weak link.

A quick shaft change is alot easier than Catastrophic Diff damage

In my case, I'm simply saying "Dont do what I did" witch is exactly what he's asking about.

Again, You cannot make the pinion any stronger, But you can make everything around it stronger, Coincidentally making the pinion the weak link.

location and wheeling style are going to be a major factor in this discussion.

the D30 ring gear can survive just fine when setup and treated properly. low-traction high speed assaults as is common to certain types of wheeling do not fit that model.

I would say my biggest concern would be not having trail spares for the 30 spline stuff. Or really expensive spares. My 30 did not start dying until 36s. It did everything on 35s and the 27 spline chromos that I wanted it to. That's my recommendation.

location and wheeling style are going to be a major factor in this discussion.

the D30 ring gear can survive just fine when setup and treated properly. low-traction high speed assaults as is common to certain types of wheeling do not fit that model.

Sounds like wheeling in New England on miss covered rocks.

I had an ARB and RCV axles in my D30. Hated dealing with the air issues of the ARB, but the shafts were strong as hell

If I did it all again, I'd get an Eaton E-locker and RCV's. Not sure the point of the 30 spline if you're just crawling. And if you somehow break an RCV, you can throw a stock shaft right in. I never carried spares though, and never needed to.

Show me 5 broken pinions. I'm sure there are 2 or 3 in the history of naxja, but I challenge you to find 5.

I'll show you 5 27 spline shafts broken this month....

That whole "moving the weak link" argument is bullshit. There is always a weak link. You're moving it from something that frequently breaks to something that rarely breaks... i see no downside.

Show me 5 broken pinions and I'll show you 5 bad installs

you wanna blow your wad on a turdy be my guest :rolleyes: 27 spline chromos work tits. D30's are stout axles but if you need 30 spline to get through a trail on 35" tires then I think it's time to consider stepping up to a bigger axle...

just put a 60 under it and call it a day

hasta

kidding

Show me 5 broken pinions. I'm sure there are 2 or 3 in the history of naxja, but I challenge you to find 5.

I'll show you 5 27 spline shafts broken this month....

That whole "moving the weak link" argument is bullshit. There is always a weak link. You're moving it from something that frequently breaks to something that rarely breaks... i see no downside.
I can show you two in one year.

To be fair, You're right. I honestly dont belong in this thread due to the fact I'm basing my opinion off a completely different vehicle, Different Weight & Power.. Not fair.. I get it.

But I did move "the weak link" and started busting pinions. and thats when I gave up. Tube Sleeves, Mini truss, Inner C gussets, 27spline Alloy shafts, Detroit, Yukon 4.56s, U-bolt Pinion yoke, etc. The pinion was all that ever broke anymore.

I look at the 30 as a great axle, Its super easy to work with, you can get in a quick routine for trailside repairs, and its CHEAP (comparatively) to run. But at the same time, Its NOT for everyone.. Neither is a Dana 60.. that's why its good to find out what the expectations are out of the axle, I think its ignorant to think Alloy shafts are an end all for the dana 30.

Personally I prefer my lock outs. My font Detroit has an issue with not unlocking, It is nice to hop out and undo my hubs and forget I even have a locker. If I pop a hub it isnt the end off the world, I throw in a spare and keep wheeling. A call to warn later I will have another lock out...
the biggest issue with your axle was the fact that it was in 2 rigs befpre yours and has had the piss beatin out of it, so I'm sure it needs a new locker or will eventually..

Back