• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

23andMe anyone?

Milford Cubicle II

NAXJA Forum User
First of all, I'm curious if anyone else here at NAXJA has partaken in the genomic testing service offered by 23andMe. I have, and it was worth every penny. I've spent hours looking over my results, especially the ancestry portion of the results. Turns out, my dad is in the 99th percentile for having the most "neanderthal DNA." Which explains a lot, actually :D The medical portion though is particularly beneficial. It basically rates your risk for all known diseases and conditions that are associated with your particular genomes, as well as compares them to the "average" risk.

Quite a few people have called me crazy for "wanting to know." The way I see it, I'm at higher risks for certain conditions regardless of whether or not I know about it, so why not take measures to prevent or mitigate it? Turns out, my results were very positive. Basically, the only conditions that it showed me being at a significantly higher risk for were hemochromatosis (high iron) and some weird lung condition that basically, isn't a big deal.

Ok, I'll stop raving. I'm just saying, if anyone's interested in it, do it.

But another point I have to make, is that I just received an email informing me that, in short, the FDA is wanting to put the kibosh on 23andMe. Due to the FDA not having waved its magic wand, ordaining 23andMe as "legitimate." Something I had never really thought about, actually. But does it surprise me that the government is doing their best to ruin a very successful private company? Ha, no. :banghead:

Read: http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/007929.html
http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/007343.html

My wife and I have done it. I really enjoyed going through all the results and reading about how my genes stack up with genetic conditions.

Tune in to last week's Mysterious Universe podcast for interesting new information regarding this. You can find the free podcast on Stitcher or other similar app.

Back