• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ build plan, input welcome

I didn't see any mention of rockrails. I think more people bend up their rockers sliding into trees, than landing on big rocks.

Damn, that would put a damper in things... 242-equipped XJs seem to be rare in this part of the country (especially in junk yards).

Anyone else know if the ZJ 242 is a direct fit into the XJ? This would be assuming it's out of a 4.0 model ZJ w/ the AW4.

I've got a similarly built 1991 rig. We used a ZJ NP242 - while it mated right up, we did change the front output. It's been a few years and I can't quite recall but I think the yoke was different. We also modified the RE belly pan with an extension to cover the whole T-case.

I'm set up at about 4" - Old Man Emu Long Travel shocks and a RE HD trackbar and brace. I put a full Detroit locker in back/ TruTrac in front - it's noticeable but when the streets are wet or icy, I just run in full-time.

Long arm kits are perfectly fine for street, in fact they will handle better on the street then a short arm kit any day. Now major lift kit companies are selling LA kits for full size trucks because they handle so much better then a normal kit does. Just FYI.:thumbup:

X2 I had the RE 4.5" lift and noticed a huge difference when I went to the TnT kit. The Jeep rode smoother.

Oh and why would you buy a Currie 9" rear end to only run 31's? Along with that why would you have 31" tires with long arms. He might be thinking ahead if he wants to go bigger but if not, kind of seems like a waste.

Oh and why would you buy a Currie 9" rear end to only run 31's? Along with that why would you have 31" tires with long arms. He might be thinking ahead if he wants to go bigger but if not, kind of seems like a waste.

Yeah, kind of agree, I went with 32's then 33"x10.5's on my LA setup. Still doing some adjusting but, it looks like I can keep the stock flare locations.

Didn't see anything about a 9". . .

I hate to see him invest in regearing to 4.11's. He's planning a setup that craves a bigger tire at least go to 4.56 and 32's. . .

Last edited:
Yeah, no plans for a 9" rear. The 29-spline 8.25" and a high-pinion D30 in the front should be plenty strong for my needs. At this point I'm working with a few people to try to piece together a set of axles that I can build up outside of the vehicle and install in one weekend (with the lift and the rest of the goodies).

If anyone has a high-pinion non-vacuum D30 in the Raleigh, NC area, please let me know :)

• Hanson rear bumper and tire carrier
    This is 100% dependent upon whether or not the integrated 2" receiver is also rated for towing (I can't find anything confirming it is, so I'm guessing it's probably not). I want to be able to tow with this rig, but don't like how low the factory hitch sits.

*grin*

Has anyone every confirmed that you can tow with the Hanson rear bumper? I have the front prerunner and the rear bumper. The comes with a spot to mount your trailer electrical connection adapter and they also include unibody support for the bumper.

My only concern is that I don't know what it's truly rated for, but I would imagine 10,000lbs based on the receiver size.

Any thoughts?

Back