• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ heads

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
I have read about the 0331 heads cracking. My brother found a beauty with 74,000 miles on it. for $6500, do all 2000's have that casting? and is there a way to tell if it that head?? thanks, Josh

if its 2000 it has it. but not all 0331's cracked only a portion of them. another way to tell if you have the 0331 head is if it has coil of plugs, meaning if it does not have a distributor you got the 0331. mike

See if this helps ... If you look right on the top of the head, about mid-way down on the drivers side, you should find the stamp number. You might need a flashlight to see it, depending on how dirty your engine is. It should be located right where the top of the head and the bottom of the valve cover and everything else meet up. If it wasn't pouring right now and I wasn't sick, I'd go take a pic for you.

On a side note, Everything i've read suggests that the 99's also had this problem. However, I have a 9/99 build date on my XJ and have the 0630 head on the orig. motor. So perhaps any 99's that have the 0331 are extremely late 99 models, right as they were switching over to the 2000 model year

I found under search

I have been researching myself and according to everybody it was just the 2000 models. Thank you for your help, and get better man.

Point of order... it's heads cast in 2000. That doesn't mean that it is only on 2000's... I seem to recall that there were a few reports of early build 2001's that also had the 0331.

There's no reason the 0331 won't fit an earlier or later model year that I can tell, so model year of the chassis and engine alone won't tell you. You have to check the casting itself.

yeah...DO check that if you can. I didn't and wound up paying for it. Do your looking well. *thumbs up*

Back