• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 dollars???

Does the 99 have a D35?

I thought that 97+ was 29 spline 8.25, I know that's what's on my '97 Had the shafts out of a buddy's '96 tonight and it was 27 splines...

Anyways, with 2 grand to build a 97+... hooh.

I'd start with the ZJ brake swap (super-rad, every 8.25 owner should do it when the drums start sucking)p , 3.5" or so of lift, recovery points (hooks front, reese hitch or bumper in the rear), trim fenders, ebay racks for gear, pick and pull an old spare tire carrier (31" should be good?), I'd gear to 4.56 and go to 33s...Prolly end up at $2500 with the last 2 things included, $1500 if you want to stay on 31s and stock gearing...

Funny that everyone has given you a different answer, just shows how versatile an XJ can be built.

EDIT: Remember, while a t-case drop is a bandaid in comparison to an SYE, it is a viable one. If you aren't trying to go bigger than 3.5" or so, 3/4" or 1" of t-case drop will probably solve your problems...

Last edited:
For a lift you could do the s10 packs for a couple inches and the zj coils... i may be wrong...

Just look around in the for sale forums for used stuff! I have less than 1500 invested in my whole decently built 98 cherokee (including what I paid for the jeep). I got a 4.5" lift minus brake lines for $250, RE Hack n tap $50, 4 almost new 33" Trxus MT's $140, Rims $150, dana 30 with lock rite and 456 gears $250, Chryco 8.25 w/ 456 gears $250, brake lines $40, RE 1.25" shackles $50. Get my point? You can build a very very nice rig without having to spend 2K on just a few new parts! I also daily drive my jeep as well.

I with Kubtastic on the welder. I bought a stick welder at Sams and built the bumpers and parts I wanted cheap. I also bought a press and dial indicator and did my gear swap. I saved more on the gear swap than the tools cost. Get a 4 1/2" angle grinder too. Forget about the cost and determine what you would like in the end so you won't do stuff twice.

$1,000 for a beater honda DD (including necessary reliability repairs/maintenance).

$1,000 into Jeep with potential to do whatever you want to it in the future without worring about driving it everyday.

Back