• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 weeks and less that $1000 to a Stroker...

Simms

NAXJA Forum User
I don't post here much, but I should start to...

First the pictures:

http://www.gremlinized.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3

The Story:

The 4.o in my XJ had 178,xxx miles on it and had a tick that turned in to a knock after quite awhile, and it started to burn a qt-qt&1/2 a week of oil so I decided it was time for a rebuild. But if I'm gonna rebuild it why not spend another $50 and stroke the wench! I got a 258 and had the Crank re-ground (was 10-10) to 20-20 and cut down the snout. I installed ARP rod bolts in the rods, resized the big and small ends, and polished the beams. (forgot to take pics of them) Gaining it almost 40ci to a 4.6L after a .030" overbore.

A stock replacement Dana Hyperutectic piston with cromoly top ring was used, Clevite bearings throughout. Reused the stock cam and lifters. After reading all the horror stories of aftermarket cams and having Drews motor sitting on the floor of my garage with its 4th or 5th wiped out cam, I felt this was the way to go. 1pc pan gasket was used. A new High Volume oil pump tossed in as well. Also .007" was taken off the deck to clean it up.

The head was done by a buddy of mine at work. He cut the seats with racing cutters and blended them into the bowl area with some other hand work in the bowls and a little in the throat before the runner. He also ground the valves and put another angle on the intakes for increased flow. I took .005" off the surface of the head to clean it up also.

I ordered an APN header for it which is supposed to be a Banks copy, because my stock header had a crack starting to show, and the motor was already out, primo time to toss in a header. And M.O.R.E. Bombproof torsion rubber motor mounts.

We clock just ticked over 155 miles on the new motor when we arrived at Haspin Acres' office, and we put a little over 25 miles on it strictly wheeling, and it sits now just under 500...So far I am really satisfied with the new motor. I can't say that I can feel anymore power, but it does have more torque and low end grunt.

Back