• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 questions - drive shaft & linkage

cdnabn49

NAXJA Forum User
ok I have 2 questions and I am a r_tard obviously as I am totally confused from the Chiltons manual
1) are these the bolts I remove to disconnect the drive shafts?

frontdriveshaftbolts.jpg

Reardriveshaftbolts.jpg

2) how do I disconnect these linkages so I can remove the tranny.

linkage1.jpg

linkage2.jpg

yes, those are the bolts. you can just get a screwdriver and pry the linkage out of the bushing on the transfercase linkage, and pry the cable off of the trans linkage, it just snaps on.

Im doing the same but seem to be having trouble disconecting the Xfer case linkage from the body. Is this going to have to come out as the tranny comes out? also - how does one access flexplate bolts?

Im doing the same but seem to be having trouble disconecting the Xfer case linkage from the body. Is this going to have to come out as the tranny comes out? also - how does one access flexplate bolts?

1) Tcase linkage should come out of the transmission support and not have to be removed from the vehicle.

2) Flexplate bolts are accessed through the removable inspection cover on the lower front part of the transmission. PITA! Make sure to locktite these when you reinstall!

ps top two bolts have an external torx head...Autozone should have an "E Torx" set. #12 if I remember correctly.

I was looking at stu olsons aw4 swap and I think the pivot point for the xfer linkage is accessed through the interior, under the carpet - I may try this.
also - went for my flexplate bolts, and they are stiff! Any suggestions? persuader? BFH? Thanks

I was looking at stu olsons aw4 swap and I think the pivot point for the xfer linkage is accessed through the interior, under the carpet - I may try this.
also - went for my flexplate bolts, and they are stiff! Any suggestions? persuader? BFH? Thanks

If you're trying to remove the bracket from the body, the bolts are under the carpet. You need to either swap or redrill that bracket if your going between auto and manual. If you're just trying to undo the linkage, just pop the linkage out of the bushing on the trans side. There's two bolts that hold a retainer plate on the body side if you want to remove the pivot entirely.

On the tranny linkage, pop the linkage off the end of the arm. I don't recommend trying to undo the nut holding the arm on. I've seen a few instances of the threads twisting off instead of the nut coming loose and replacing the shift rod is a major effort.

So what are you trying to accomplish, btw?

If you're just trying to undo the linkage, just pop the linkage out of the bushing on the trans side.

On the tranny linkage, pop the linkage off the end of the arm. I don't recommend trying to undo the nut holding the arm on. I've seen a few instances of the threads twisting off instead of the nut coming loose and replacing the shift rod is a major effort.

So what are you trying to accomplish, btw?

Well. most of the linkage for the xfer case will come apart easily, except one on the tranny side. Doesn't seem to want to pop out of the plastic retainer thingymajig. so trying to get around breaking that, I thought the pivoting point of that linkage would slide out of bracket, but it doesn't, even with the tranny disconnected from the crossmember.

My ultimate goal is to remove the AW-4 so that I can replace the bellhousing. My existing BH is BS. its in atleast 3 pieces.

Thanks BTW

Yeah, as I recall there are two smaller screws on the body side that hold the pivoting piece. Undo those and the little retaining plate and it should slide out of the hole. Now that you mention it, I recall the thread about the cracked bellhousing.

yes cracked bellhousing as well... my next question is:

1) the drive shafts seem to be under tension when trying to remove them (front & rear) is this normal?

2) where do I pry from - if I do? The U-Joint side?

Back