• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2-door vs. 4-door

I've had both and enjoy the 2dr more. The only down side is the large doors in a parking lot. And If people don't like climbing into the backseat, they can get their own XJ.

I have both.

'98 4 dr was aquired 1st...and is 4wd so naturally it became the trail rig.

'99 2 dr came 2nd and is (currently) only 2wd so it is one of our daily drivers.

I like both for different reasons. The 2 dr has all but become a truck (still looking for another MJ) and for the time being it's kind of nice to have a clean bone stock XJ.

At one point we had 3 XJ's...the '98 and 2 '99's but we got rid of the 4 dr '99. Needed the money more than the jeep unfortunately.

I wonder if my '99 is considered rare? It's a 2 dr...2wd....4 bngr 5 spd. Was '99 the last year of the 2.5L or was it '00?

Any way when the current trail rig grows a bit more the little 2dr will get the 4wd conversion with those axles. (see sig)

4x4life05 said:
I would have to say negative, four doors means more holes in the body IMO. :lecture: by the way i have a 2 door:rof:
The door requires a very strong post/pillar installed into the body to mount and support the door, to include in impacts from collision.

I don't know, but if I had to guess, the extra post/pillar of the 4 door would make up for the additional hole and make the body stronger and more rigit, but that is my guess.

I'm different I guess, but to me, the XJ seems to be one of the few vehicles that look better as a 4 door than as a 2 door. The 2 door has too much of rectangular plain flat side to it. The 4 door makes the body have more lines and breaks up those huge rectangular and sharp edges.

And for the poster that said he has no problem installing a baby seat in the rear of the 2 door, YOUR NOT DOING IT RIGHT THEN. I'm half-joking, I've never tried it in a 2 door XJ. I do know how to install a baby seat correctly, and my wife is banned from installing the baby seat because she NEVER installs it correctly. It is a major PITA getting it strapped down tight and it needs to be, you just don't pull the belt thru the holes in the baby seat and call it day, it has to be pinned down tight. In my 2 door cars, putting that baby seat in was much more difficult than a 4 door, but then again, to do it right it was PITA in any car.

Some new cars have new provisions for mounting baby seats more easily and more securely. I haven't tried any of them, especially since our youngest is now out of the baby seat, but I'm sure they are improvement. They came about because no one was installing baby seats properly anyway. Just ask a State Trooper in any state that has done a push on the baby seats and offered for parents to visit the Trooper Station and have them show them how. Very very few people are putting in baby seats correctly.

Wait until that baby gets to be forty pounds and see how much you like lugging him or her into the back seat of a two door.

Uh... my son is 43 pounds, 5 years old, opens his own door, moves the seat, climbs in and buckles himself

2 door

Uh... my son is 43 pounds, 5 years old, opens his own door, moves the seat, climbs in and buckles himself

Considering this thread is three years old, I bet his kids are about that big by now, too...

Robert

NECRO-POSTING!! :D

.... i dont have kids two door looks cooler and makes you go faster :) getting in the back will only be an issue for the people i dont like as much as the people i let sit in the front haha im driving im indifferent

I prefer the jeep as a 2 Seat vehicle. Back when I had a 4dr people would give me a hard time for not being able to give them a ride. With the 2dr its much easier.

With half the rear seat removed and the other half folded down, there is plenty of room to sleep back there.

Some tall people like the two doors because side visibility is better when the seat is far back. No roof pillar in the way.
i got the 2 door for this reason... im 6'2" and seeing how the 2 door is essentially one giant window, i thought itd be better for me. i couldnt look out the window in my 4 door with the seat all the way back, the B-pillar was right there. now i can... but when i look over my left shoulder to check my blind side the whole side of the jeep is a giant window... EXCEPT the one spot i need. lol. i dont really care, i got the 2 door so i could turn it into a toy, so ill live with it.

the 2 door is said to be lighter.
the 4 door is said to be more structurally sound because of the extra pillar.

other than that, they are identical. i still wouldnt want to roll either with any speed. going to cage it before i start building a jeepspeed rig. and im taking out the back seats, i dont need any kids! :music:

i miss my 2 door. it was actually easier to get in the back of it than it is my 4 door! and yes, way more room for porkin in the back seat. i will say that i sleep in the back of the 4 door better, and i have better access to my tools and junk i have in the back. on both heeps the back seat stays folded down. i don't ever have passengers, aside from wife and dog, and i prefer that the dog doesn't step on the leather in the back seat anyway:D

4 doors are cheaper to insure than 2 doors. That's the first thing my agent asked me about mine, it's a 4 door. My agents exact words...."4 doors are classed more like a family type vehicle, typically driven by the older crowd and used more as grocery getters. 2 doors seem to attract the younger, and therefore typically riskier drivers in their view."

If they only knew.... :laugh2:

your insurance sucks then, you can actually class a 2 door as a 2x4 and pay less because majority of the models came as a 2x4 option when they produced fleet models.

I'm 6'4" and a two-door was the only way to go for me.

Besides, only soccer-moms drive four-door XJs.

I like my 2 door and never regretted not getting a 4 door. Some of my friends complain that it is too difficult for them to get into the back. I always tell them this "I did not buy this for you I bought it for me, because I like it, if I wanted to drive people around I would have bought a taxi cab and at least get paid for it." I bought a 2 door because I could not find a 1 door!!!

Fewer doors = more sexy.
I drive a 4 door because I had to hitch 200 miles and walk 5 to a used car lot. I wasn't about to make the same trip home!
2 doors FTW

purposely got rid of my 2 door for a 4 door mainly because i prefer the look of the crawler setup 4 door. i like the look of 2 door xj's better as jeepspeeds. i figured if i was going to have a toy it would be my prefered style

I wish mine was a two door, so I would have less electric windows and locks to fix.

Being serious on the matter though... Considering there are no real differences (besides looks and about 50lbs.), I'm fine with my 4-door. Easy for passengers to get in and out, and easy access to the stuff I store under the rear seat.

What I would REALLY want, is a RHD Jeep. I've seen two different ones in town, and they both have complete skid plate packages. Make me jealous...

Biggest difference for me has been the expense of replacing the power window regulators, the 2 door is only available as OEM for about $250.00 the four doors can be bought atermarket for less than $100.00!!

I just replaced the driver's side on my 99 and of course a week later the pass. side breaks. The aftermarket $39.00 fix did not work for mine!

Also the door switch plates are much more expensive. Anyone know if a Driver's side 4 door window switch/lock assembly will work on the 2 door? I don't care if I have a couple extra switches! :)

Wow this is an old thread!!!

One thing I've never figured out, though, is why the bottoms of 2-door doors rust out so frequently, and those of 4-doors so seldom. I have two very rusty four door XJ's, on one of which the rocker panels are just a memory, the floors a lace doily, etc., and yet neither has door rust. Neither did my 87, which was held together largely by its carpets. But most of the 2-doors I see have rusty door bottoms. Strange.

Back