• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L manual -> automatic tranny swap

Blair Williams

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 1985 Cherokee 2.5L 5-speed manual right now. The tranny's about to go, and I was going to put in another 5-speed but I was driving my friend's automatic yesterday and realized how much I would rather just have an auto. From what I've read here, it seems the Chrysler 904 tranny will swap into it, but of course there's gonna be a bunch of shit that i'm going to have to do to make it work. Anybody know what all will be different that I'm going to have to modify to make it work? From all the other forums in here I have only seen people swapping from the auto to the 5-speed, not the other way around...

P.S. I don't know, but i've come to the conclusion this vehicle originally had an automatic, because the interior console is original and it is shaped like an automatic, long and rectangular, but the top of it is busted to accomodate the shift boot. If anyone would be kind enough to upload a picture of their console, either auto or manual, from this era, I could deduce for sure.

I have an 88 2dr 2.5 4-speed my wife wants, but I need to swap an auto into it also. So this post will help me out also. I heard there is a tranny that doesnt require a computer, is this true? Let us know...

-Red

well from the hip. Flexplate, torque converter, kickdown cable, auto shifter, tranny, and the auto rear shaft. Mabey even a tranny cooler. The early XJ's had the 904. The best way to do this is to get a toasted 2.5 auto and swap the tranny over. i have seen 84-86 XJ's go for less than $300 at insurance and auto auctions. HTH!

ive got a contact for a 2.5 auto ax4, now....what do I need to purchase besides the complete tranny (torque converter, flex plate, kickdown cable, etc..)? Do I need to swap the computer out ?

The 900 series torqueflite does not need a computer...it is a 3 speed unit with a hydraulicly actuated lock up converter...you will also need the throttle linkage that bolts to the intake if yours doesn't have provision for the kickdown rod...and you need the kickdown rod...properly adjusted too...if the flywheel (flexplate) is not in good shape...you can get one from Advance Discount auto parts...Jeep doesn't make them anymore...if you are planning on using the transfer case from the manual...be aware that the output shaft on a A-904 has 23 splines...you will also need the shift linkage bracket and linkage.

Back