• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 Ex-Forest Service Cherokee

redneck

NAXJA Forum User
Here is the little history I know about this XJ. The kid that I got it from was graduating ASU and needed to get rid of it. He got it from his grandfather who drove it from day one working for the USFS in Idaho. He ended up buying it from auction when it was decommissioned from USFS inventory then gave it to the grandson for college.

Since I bought it, it’s been a great little jeep. I was going to use it strictly as a DD but couldn’t help myself and started modifying it. I already have one built rig and do not need another. I was getting 18-22 mpg before I lifted it and stepped up from the 225 to the 235 tires. I bought the tires new 2 months ago but got a great deal on a lift soon after and couldn’t help myself :twak:.

I’ve put a bit of money into it to make it more reliable and would like to get some of it back. I took it on a couple of runs to Prescott and back before I lifted it and it ran great, even past the speedometers end. Only drove it for a day lifted before I went back overseas :tear:. This is going to be a great little XJ for someone. No rust. Gotta love the Forest Service Green!

I have invested quite a bit into it, let alone the initial investment of it. I’m looking to get $3000 for it. I'm open to offers and partial trades (welder, plasma, bender, double bay or bigger tool box, Sand blaster, compressor, parts washer, pressure washer, etc...). I am currently working overseas so my father will be the one selling it for me. The forums or email ([email protected]) are the best way to get ahold of me. Figure I’d put it on the Forums before giving it to someone on Craigslist. I have another project to dump money into. I don’t need another Cherokee build… :cheers:

What it is…
1996 Ex-Forest Service Cherokee
160xxx Miles
A/C blows cold.
4.0L
AX15
231 SYE w/ new driveshaft
30/35LSD w/ 3.07

Mods…
• Rubicon Express 3.5 lift (3.5 coils, fixed lowers, 2nd gen disco’s, track bar w/ bracket, 3.5 leafs, Rancho 5000 shocks)
• 5 Raven Rims with <500 miles on 235/75-15 Geolanders from Discount with certs
• Stock skid plates
• ZJ front seats
• Center console and armrests (didn’t come with them in USFS spec)
• ZJ steering

The Good…
CHANGED WITHIN 1500 Miles/ last 8 months;
• All fluids
• Windshield
• Alternator
• Water pump
• Thermostat
• CSF 3 core radiator
• Fan clutch
• Hoses
• 5-90 Battery cables (Huge!)
• Oil filter adapter o-rings
• Battery (Costco)
• Pilot bearing, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, clutch looked good (have slave cylinder and clutch plate new in box)
• IAC, MAP, both o2, oil pressure (have CPS and TPS new in box)
• Cat Converter
• Silver Star headlights
• New marker bulbs all round

The little issues…
• Cruse works when it wants to. It has to do with the switches on the wheel.
• Has a cheap cd player in it the sometimes does not want to turn off.
• Stock speakers suck.
• It has the typical Chrysler clear coat failure. Little bit of primer showing on the hood.
• There is a vacuum leak under the dash somewhere that makes the vents go to defrost every once in a while. If you cycle the switch the vents will go back to normal.
• Typical dents in the doors to be expected with a 16 year old XJ that has been used.
• Crack at the collector in the header (normal XJ thing…)

Currently having issues uploading pictures on webshots. I will post the pix as soon as I can. I can email pictures asap if youre interested.

I only took a few pictures of it after I lifted it before I left.

Pictures...

2012-09-19_17-22-04_477.jpg

2012-09-19_17-22-17_782.jpg

2012-09-17_19-41-55_304.jpg

Lift kit...

2012-09-15_18-25-36_492.jpg

2012-09-15_18-25-29_731.jpg

Back