• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 AW4 - Transmission Binding After Motor Swap

When I removed the linkage at photo "A" a few posts up, the rubber boot came with it. I've gotten the rubber boot off the linkage, but, I'm having a tough time getting the boot back into the bracket plate. Anyone know any tricks? It's tight and I can't press it into place with anything.

When I removed the linkage at photo "A" a few posts up, the rubber boot came with it. I've gotten the rubber boot off the linkage, but, I'm having a tough time getting the boot back into the bracket plate. Anyone know any tricks? It's tight and I can't press it into place with anything.

This whole thing sounds like t-case linkage problems. You were in 4x4 the first time, and now you're in neutral. Disconnect the linkage from the t-case lever and manually push the lever all the way back.

On second thought... Does it not strike anyone as odd that his t-case lever is pointed up? I thought all np231j had the lever pointed down, while the 231c was pointed up. I grabbed a 231c specifically because of this for my 5.3 swap, because I wanted a direct linkage, which meant having the lever pointed up.

You sure you didn't flip the lever and now 4L is actually the 2wd setting and 2wd is now 4L?

Either way, easy to check. disconnect linkage, push lever on case all the way back, lift jeep and try to spin front drive shaft. Should spin freely if you're in 2wd. Then pull the lever all the way forward and try again. Front should now spin rear as well cause 4L.

It very well could be incorrect on the install. It's possible that bracket was flipped on reinstallation. I'm pretty sure I have a 231. It's 2wd, 4hi, neutral, and 4low. Maybe I'll pop the bolt off and flip that selector 180 degrees.

I'm in 4wd. I assume it's 4lo. If that's correct, next is neutral. If tcase was in neutral, wouod the transmission move? Or would everything stay in neutral? I can say that throwing it in park doesn't work. It grinds a little.

This makes perfect sense. I probablu have that selector bracket upside down and that's why it will only shift in two positions on the transfer case manually. It's bottoming out. If I flip it, it should move. That rod that the adjustment set point slides on was dirty as hell when I loosened it. Doesn't look like its ever been adjusted. Probably hasn't been and having that selector upside down is causing all of this.

Hope I didn't break something in the process.

And I fixed that rubber boot problem. Thing is a mother to get in.

Also, if you're having trouble getting into park (with a bit of grind) your trans shifter tension is a bit off. I'm pretty sure the cable is adjustable (I've never worked on an XJ auto, but i have a chev auto in now, with the xj shifter).
If the cable is slightly too tight, the detents in your shifter won't quite match up with the trans, and when you hit park on the shifter, the trans will be just barely out of reverse. Figure out your t-case linkage first. Once you're sure that 2wd is 2wd, detach the trans shifter cable from the trans side, and just manually flip the trans shifter linkage all the way forward. I'll bet it goes into park just fine. Then just adjust your cable properly.

Have to leave for my sons birthday party. Bowling and laser tag here we come. Can anyone confirm my shifter selector is on upside down? If not, I'm swapping it anyway tonight.

Yea man. Don't make life harder than it has to be. I have NEVER personally seen a stock XJ with any Jeep transfer case, with the lever pointed up. I would be insanely surprised if yours was different. Disconnect the shifter from the t-case lever and just push the lever all the way back, then do as Ehall says, or jack up all 4 wheels and spin the front drive shaft. I think that lever is upside down. Get your t-case into 2wd and then see if you shift linkage (also in 2wd) will just stick into the lever. My guess is it'll be 2 inches off at least, because the lever is on the wrong side :p. Don't just pull the lever and flip it. VERIFY FIRST :)

Good enough answer for me on the photos. Makes sense. And is there a way to donate?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/payments.php

Becoming a member will not only support this website, but it will support land use organizations both locally and nationally.

My 231J had the linkage pointing down.

At the worse case, pull the driveshafts so you have no drag from anything other than the transfer case. Then, try shifting the T-case shift lever. There should be 4 very distinct shift positions - 2wd, 4wd, N, 4Lo. If the transmission is in neutral, you will be able to tell which position is which by rotating the rear output shaft.

If you can't feel the four positions, flip over the shift lever on the T-case and try again.

And I would second the notion for either the BoostWerks linkage or the cable linkage from Novak. the BoostWerks is significantly cheaper. The stock linkage, especially when rusty, is very prone to binding.

David Bricker / SYR

Last edited:
Good information here. Thank you. I'll swap it around tomorrow. I really think that's my issue. When you say push the lever all the way back....i assume you mean to the rear of the vehicle? Is that supposed to be 2wd or 4low?

Thanks!

I'm trying to wrap my head around the direction now. Yea, t-case lever all the way backward (away from motor) should be 2wd. One click forward = 4h, then neutral, then 4l all the way forward. You're upside down for sure.

I'm going in. Will report back in an hour or so.

This tranny has a major leak. Fluid everywhere. Gasket appears to be failing. I could slap myself for not cleaning up the tranny when it was out of the vehicle. It's dirty as all hell. Now I'll have to clean it from my back getting purple power all over me. This doesn't seem like a great idea. Anyone have any ideas of the best way to get the undercarriage looking good again?

Boom. Fixed. Good infor here. The selector was upside down. Once I flippe it down, I could select all the gears in the transfer case. Adjusted the slider and im good to go. Shifts cleanly in all gears. Will say this though, the selector pushed all the way back towards the rear of the vehicle is 4LO. I pulled the selector on the floor back to 4lo, pushed the transfer case selector all the way back, and tightened the bolt.

I took it for a quick ride around the neighborhood. Works well. Thanks for all input.

Boom. Fixed. Good infor here. The selector was upside down. Once I flippe it down, I could select all the gears in the transfer case. Adjusted the slider and im good to go. Shifts cleanly in all gears. Will say this though, the selector pushed all the way back towards the rear of the vehicle is 4LO. I pulled the selector on the floor back to 4lo, pushed the transfer case selector all the way back, and tightened the bolt.

I took it for a quick ride around the neighborhood. Works well. Thanks for all input.

Yes, selector all the way back when it's pointed DOWN, is 4L :). When pointed up, it's 2wd.
I use a single pivot linkage for mine, so I needed the lever pointed up. Yours however, uses a double pivot so whatever you do on the shifter, it's the opposite on the t-case lever (as viewed from the connection points, not the handle).

Glad to hear it's working.

As for cleaning, pressure washer, patience, brake cleaner and rags, patience, etc. I'm too lazy for that so I usually end up just being REALLY CAREFUL when I pull the pan, to not get any dirt inside. This is really royally stupid, but it's worked for me thus far. It's probably just less work to clean first though :p.

Yea. It's working. Have a host of other drivability issues to work on now. Don't even know where to begin. I'm having a real bad vibration around 10-15 mph. Can't tell if it's the tires or what. These tires are unevenly worn mud terrains. Wish I had some street tires to throw on and diagnose the problems. Might not be out of the woods with the transmission just yet.

That would be too easy. I enjoy a challenge. Ha. In all reality, someone else put the tranny in. I should have paid more attention either way.

One good trick is to fasten a video recorder to different parts of the undercarriage and see if you notice anything like out-of-round movement. I have an old Canon camera with a video setting, and a small tripod for it, I was able to duct tape the tripod to axles and control arms and such, and then put the camera on record

I hope I didn't wreck it. My luck it wouldn't surprise me. It has not been driven much since the swap. Maybe a mile or two. Hoping I got lucky. Fluid that came out seemed clean.

Back