• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 XJ Will not start HELP!!

Sorry I got busy with fixing and forgot to post

Turns out that the cat was plugged that is why it was not running!!

I disconnected the exhaust also tried installing a new coil and it started.

This made me think that it was over heated and well I decided to swap out the motor. But she is running good now!!

Hope this help!

Sorry I got busy with fixing and forgot to post

Turns out that the cat was plugged that is why it was not running!!

I disconnected the exhaust also tried installing a new coil and it started.

This made me think that it was over heated and well I decided to swap out the motor. But she is running good now!!

Hope this help!

Thank you for closing this out, someone else will benefit from it down the road.

Good luck.

I had a similar problem once with an engine that I had gotten out of a wrecked car and it was stored for a year or two. It would not start, but all other things looked good. It was a 4 cylinder VEGA! I had a plug out and then decide to try to spin it for spark and it started. I thought that things straightened out and put it all back together. No start. I try the plug out again, different plug, and still no start. I pull the other plug and it starts. Turns out it had a stuck intake valve. It must have been in that position for a long time and got snug. I popped the valve cover and gave it a whack and it ran fine for years. Clogged cat is tough to figure but I have heard of listening to the tail pipe for wheezing, etc while spinning over to start. You might have guessed the cat was clogged if you tried that test. have fun!

Back