• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 renix injector upgrade

Hoodie ninja

NAXJA Forum User
I just did the injector swap on my 1990 xj and what a huge difference did it make. Now what can i do for an intake upgrade?
Most aftermarket upgrades are 91+

Do i just need to get a cone filter and a section of 3 inch intake piping and fab my own?

I have a throttle body spacer but havent installed it yet.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

The only thing i found from spectre for my year is a k&n style replacement filter. Can i make the 91+ fit with modifications?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Weird. They must have discontinued it. I have one and it works. I mainly got it to free up room under the hood. But just beware th smog nazis when installing an intake

You can send your throttle body or a good core in to Jeff at StrokedJeep.com and he'll bore it out to 60mm for you - I noticed a definite increase in low-end/off the line torque. It's only butt-dyno, but it has surprised several other people who have driven it too. I run it in combo with the 746 injectors. It passed California/LA dyno smog and visually it looks the same as stock since the modification is internal. Worthwhile upgrade in my opinion, and from the reading I did it's better than a TB spacer. I'd just do that and skip trying to track down an intake that is CARB certified.

Spectra discontinued both their CARB certified Renix air system, as well as their non-CARB certfiied HO air system.

David Bricker / SYR

Definitely recommend bored TB. The one on my XJ is from strokedjeep. The one on my MJ is unknown. I got it 2nd hand from another member in the Sierra chapter.
I run a set of the 703 Chryco injectors in my XJ, and a set of the early "2-piece" Ford 5.0 19lb injectors in my MJ. No issues with either.

Throttle body spacer does no good. The improvement on intake is all volume and flow control. A spacer really doesn't increase the volumn to make a difference and has no impact on air flow.
Tell us which injectors you purchased. When I did mine, it was such an improvement I had to install a map sensor adjustment circuit to pass DEQ.

I did the injector upgrade on my 87. Yes it was a noticeable improvement. Before I did the injectors I installed a Rusty's throttle body. I noticed no improvement with that. I'm in California and no one seemed to care about the spacer. The next noticeable improvement was having the throttle body bored. There is a guy on NAXJA that does them. Also note I left the throttle body spacer on because you have to modify you throttle linkage on the Renix engines only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throttle body spacer does no good. The improvement on intake is all volume and flow control. A spacer really doesn't increase the volumn to make a difference and has no impact on air flow.

Correct, spacers dont. A bored and de-tapered throttle body however works wonders (on a motor with supporting mods).

I Wouldnt worry about the intake unless youve got a stroker or otherwise hot 4.0, no point.

Most people claiming performance gains from an injector swap were running 20 year old injectors before the swap, no surprise they felt a butt dyno gain.

Do i just need to get a cone filter and a section of 3 inch intake piping and fab my own?

I have a throttle body spacer but havent installed it yet.

Unless you make a heat wall (or whatever you want to call it), adding a ghetto 'intake' will only heat up your intake charge, loosing you power, and making you look like a chump.

Stock airbox is fine, especially the renix that has ducting out the front core support.

It's not a honda, dont treat it like one.

Back