• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Cherokee 2dr 2wd-5.3L LSx Twin Turbo Build

Debo_Daddy

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, new to the forum. I hadn't planned on posting my build here in fear of Jeep guys disrespecting the fact that this is a 2wd build. But I'm bored and figure I'll give it a shot. A lot of this is copy/pasted from the forum I typically frequent (TheTurboForums.com), so bear with me if there are any references you guys may not understand.

I purchased it last year. It's a rust bucket. I had been looking for a 4.0L, 5 speed, 2door, 2wd Cherokee for a couple years, and I finally found this heap of shit on Craigslist about 2 miles down the road from me. It had been sitting and was currently owned by wasps. Gave the guy the money ($700), jumped in and drove it home, parked it, went to Walmart, purchased wasp killer, had no mercy.

Daily drove it for a month. I wanted the injected 4.0 and 5 speed for my 1979 AMC Concord, so I was kind of killing 2 birds with 1 stone by getting it.

On with the Jeep: Started by gutting it, replacing the floor pans, rockers, and touching up some rust on the rest of the body. I'll finish the rest of the body and paint it once everything mechanical is done. I yanked the engine/trans out Saturday night (1/25/14) and powerwashed the bay Sunday.

As for the power plant: I've had this 5.3 laying around for about 6 months. It was originally going in the Concord but then I found this Jeep. Its a 2000 LM7. Bone stock unopened short block. 862's. Supposedly had 92k on it but junkyards lie. Who knows. I put in a LS3 cam, springs, and pushrods out of my buddy's 09 Vette that I got for almost free. It's still 24x and I'm not using a cam sensor. 80lb/hr Siemens Deka injectors in the stock truck intake (revised). Two inline Walbro 255's from a sumped stock tank. Microsquirt with a Denmah tune preloaded to get me close.

Novak Adapters bolt in LS XJ Mounts, and I'm having a th400 built as we speak. Stock Dana 35 with 3.08's for now. If and when it dies it will most likely get an Explorer 8.8 with discs.

I picked up a pair of chinese 54mm compressor t3's off ebay. The look decent for the $ so I'm going to give them a shot. I was originally going to do a 76mm GT45 from VSRacing, but the way the engine bay is shaped on this thing, it will be easier to do 2 smaller units than 1 large one.

Here's a few pics for now. I'll keep updating as I get to work on it. Work has been really busy recently so I've had to resort to just weekends lately. When we slow down I get to work on it on the clock.

Last edited by a moderator:
(2/3/14) Some progress this week. Got the bay cleaned up some more and painted. Got the Novak swap mounts in (these things are freakin NICE!). Got the engine dropped in today and started modifying the truck manifolds to fit. Gonna need a big cowl to clear the truck intake! lol Here's some pics

Last edited:
(2/6/14) Got a little more done the past couple days. Got both exhaust manifolds modified and got the passenger side hotside done and turbo mounted. Hoping to get the driver's side one done tomorrow if work is slow again.

Last edited by a moderator:
(2/7/14) Got the other side done yesterday. Both are mounted up. Next step will be to pull the engine back out, weld in the oil pan drains, and replace all the gaskets. Then she will go back in for good.

watching closely, good luck with the AMC/4.0 swap. always wanted to to that to my old Eagles. did do a NP229 XCase swap, that was a fun car.

Well, that has the potential to be completely insane..........Good luck with the project!

BTW, you may want to just consider replacing that rear axle right off......maybe with a Chrysler B and E body sized Dana 60......

Oh hell yes.

The only way I'd hate on you for this build is if you hellaflushed it/ruined the suspension and made it into a slow piece of junk that handled even worse. And even then, as a comedy piece it wouldn't be bad.

This looks like it'll come out awesome, I crack up every time I watch that video of denmah driving the fairmont around with coolant and compression blasting out of the head gasket:

old rusty jeep + LM7 + chinese turbos is gonna be AWESOME.

Oh hell yes.

The only way I'd hate on you for this build is if you hellaflushed it/ruined the suspension and made it into a slow piece of junk that handled even worse. And even then, as a comedy piece it wouldn't be bad.

This looks like it'll come out awesome, I crack up every time I watch that video of denmah driving the fairmont around with coolant and compression blasting out of the head gasket:

old rusty jeep + LM7 + chinese turbos is gonna be AWESOME.

Haha I don't understand that lowering crap that some kids these days are in to. I plan to keep it stock height for now, but will probably get lowered 2" or so eventually when I start doing Standing Mile events.

And yea, the best part about these builds is if it gets hurt, I call LKQ and order another 4.8/5.3 for $400-600 and throw it in there. lol

Back