• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 MJ Short Box 4X4 w/5" and Rubi rims (pics)

one of the few bad things about MJs is that you can't really do a medium (4-5") lift. you either do a 3" AAL or you do a spring over and get 6+". also with the longer wheelbase it will be nice to have the larger lift for the sake of breakover angle. If I could easily shorten mine to 107 I would also drop it an inch to 6 inches with the 35s.

rubicon002.sized.jpg

(the bed is gone now, pics soon)

Best cure I've found for too much height in the back is a custom rollbar/bumper/tirecarrier. That's gotta be, what, like 300 lbs or so right there. And that doesn't include the big box-o-tools, gasoline, etc. Glad I added that extra main leaf. :D
Jeep on!
--Pete
ComancheClub.com
70893605.jpg

Last edited:
Pete, I'm thinking of the roll bar idea, too, but I may do one which enables me to custom make a canvas top for the rear - fold up sides, bikini style if I choose, yet still allow me to button it all down and enclose the rear of the bed.

As for the bed chopping, I was thinking of simply cutting the lower panels up and MAYBE taking out some of the bed sides between the tailgate and wheel arch. If I angle the piece I remove, I'll be able to tilt the bottom of the tailgate IN, leaving the tailgate and lights angled somewhat. That'd help clean up the dearture angle back there while still allowing for use of the bed.

I actually use the truck as my DD and it does work around my property - haul wood, clean up junk, take garbage to the dump, etc., so I can't axe the bed totally.

I think maybe I should actually get it into the rough stuff to see what's what before I grab the swazall...LOL

...and Brett - I hear ya on the "no medium lift options for an MJ". It's just not going to happen without a dedication to the idea and some fabbing in the rear. No need, when, as pointed out, the extra bump in height will help compensate for the added wheelbase and breakover angles. That was the single biggest concern I had with the MJ...just haing come from a Cherokee and knowing what it was capable of, wold I find myself high & dry in my smancy little pick-up? Well, we'll see, but I think she'll do just fine.

I just need to find a hill no one else can climb, then put that extra wheelbase to good use! LOL

Back