• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1984 jeep trouble and questions help needed!

Southern Belle

NAXJA Forum User
heyal,

i have a 1984 jeep and there is no manual. i've tried to find one to download but have had no luck.

i personally have a memory problem so please bare with me and try to be a little understanding :looney:

1. i keep forgetting where to put the clutch fluid in and although it was checked a few weeks ago i think there may be need.

- not quite a year ago maybe 6-9 mos the secondary or slave cylinder clutch thing had to be replaced. i couldn't get it in or out of gear.

now its happening again, its difficult to put into gear and sometimes it grinds and i have had to shut it off just to put it into gear and the guy that works on our cars won't be available for another week or so.

2. the fan doesn't work or the a/c but the fan won't turn on. a few weeks ago a guy changed the fuse, lol and the defroster fan turned on but not the vents then after a few days the defroster fan quit again.

3. the interior lights quit working after a screw up of wiring on a stereo install, stereo was fixed but i think it just blew out the interior lights.

4. the 4wd works but no longer shows the change [light] to one to the other.

5. recently when driving i smell gas... makes me nervous.

there's a lists of things and they're are more but thats what comes to mind.

any help on getting a diagram of the fluids [clutch, break, oil and transmission] would be great. any advice on the rest of it would be greatly appreciated as well.

i do appologize for not being knowledgable of cars.

thank you,
southern belle
:smsoap: :dunce: :dunno: :scared: :)

I'll just start with the clutch question, 'cause I gotta head out soon and can't try to field all those questions.

The clutch master cylinder is at the back of the engine compartment, mounted to the firewall on the driver's side above the power brake vacuum booster. Remove the cap carefully to avoid letting ANY dirt get into the fluid. If you are having problems with the clutch not disengaging, though, it may need more than fluid. It may have to be bled, or you may be overdue for a clutch. Fill first (there's a line on the outside to show you how full), bleed if filling doesn't help, then think clutch if bleeding doesn't do it.

Your clutch reservoir, when you open the hood, is in the far right corner, it should be right below the sticker that talks about emissions. In other words, it is directly above where the clutch pedal is. It has a small, 2 inch wide circular rubber cap.

The problem you're having with it not going into gear is all too common. It's due to a leak in the clutch line, hence why your clutch fluid is low. Almost definitely your _clutch slave cylinder_ is bad. They cost about $50, and go out on these jeeps almost regularly.

The reason your A/C / fan unit isnt working is almost certainly due to a fuse, but simply replacing the fuse won't fix your problem, because almost certainly your _clutch master cylinder_ is also leaking. Jeep had the ingenuity to place this unit, prone to leaking, **directly** above the fuse panel. When it leaks, it leaks brake fluid down into the fuse panel, which is highly corrosive, which eats away at the fuses. The master cylinder is more expensive to replace though, and also if you want it to continue working, you'd also have to get a new fuse panel, because there's little hope of getting the old one clean of the brake fluid. The simplest fix is just to keep putting in new fuses. They'll probably last about 2 weeks, then you'll have to do it again.

Enjoy.

Blair Williams said:
Your clutch reservoir, when you open the hood, is in the far right corner, it should be right below the sticker that talks about emissions. In other words, it is directly above where the clutch pedal is. It has a small, 2 inch wide circular rubber cap.

The problem you're having with it not going into gear is all too common. It's due to a leak in the clutch line, hence why your clutch fluid is low. Almost definitely your _clutch slave cylinder_ is bad. They cost about $50, and go out on these jeeps almost regularly.

The reason your A/C / fan unit isnt working is almost certainly due to a fuse, but simply replacing the fuse won't fix your problem, because almost certainly your _clutch master cylinder_ is also leaking. Jeep had the ingenuity to place this unit, prone to leaking, **directly** above the fuse panel. When it leaks, it leaks brake fluid down into the fuse panel, which is highly corrosive, which eats away at the fuses. The master cylinder is more expensive to replace though, and also if you want it to continue working, you'd also have to get a new fuse panel, because there's little hope of getting the old one clean of the brake fluid. The simplest fix is just to keep putting in new fuses. They'll probably last about 2 weeks, then you'll have to do it again.

Enjoy.
thanks for info but whats the 3 or 4 inch long container with the wire over top [seals it closed] metal container?

and are fuse panels expensive? and does that mean im leaking break fluid now? mannnnnn just keeps getting better and better:huh:

thanks,
southern belle

Eagle said:
I'll just start with the clutch question, 'cause I gotta head out soon and can't try to field all those questions.

The clutch master cylinder is at the back of the engine compartment, mounted to the firewall on the driver's side above the power brake vacuum booster. Remove the cap carefully to avoid letting ANY dirt get into the fluid. If you are having problems with the clutch not disengaging, though, it may need more than fluid. It may have to be bled, or you may be overdue for a clutch. Fill first (there's a line on the outside to show you how full), bleed if filling doesn't help, then think clutch if bleeding doesn't do it.
hi, thanks for reply.

u lost me at firewall but got the back of engine compartment lol.

sorry,
southern belle

Southern Belle said:
thanks for info but whats the 3 or 4 inch long container with the wire over top [seals it closed] metal container?

and are fuse panels expensive? and does that mean im leaking break fluid now? mannnnnn just keeps getting better and better:huh:

thanks,
southern belle

The container with the wire on top is your brake master cylinder. It is also filled with brake fluid. The clutch is filled with brake fluid as well. The clutch master cylinder is round, with a rubber cap, and should be to the right of that unit.

I don't know how much a fuse panel would cost but I can't imagine it would be cheap. Yes, you are probably leaking brake fluid (from your clutch, not from your brakes). If you aren't at least leaking it out, then you are probably leaking air in. (It is a pressurized hydraulic line that should not contain air)

heyal,

well jeep was looked at today and omg he was amazed at what it was.

it wasn't the clutch it was the pedal and thing breaking thru the panel or firewall is what he said, from the inside towards the engine thats why i was pressing so hard down to change the gears. now im suppose to get a '99 cougar with in the next few days and now need to figure out what to do with the jeep junk it, sell it kick it then burn it lol

do you think as-is that someone would buy it? the interior is in excellent condition but would have to be willing to put the work into it..ya know?

what'da think? wild huh?

thank you,
southern belle
:wow:

Back