• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1984 cherokee 5.0HO

blkbird95 said:
Hi,

I own 2 Thunderbirds, so I had to step in with some facts...
Ford produced the T-Bird with a 5.0 HO from 91-93 only, and also in the Mercury Cougar of the same years. The Fox Body T-birds (88 and older) never got the HO. The MarkVII did. The upper intake from the TBird HO is the same that was later used on the 94 and 95 mustangs, but the lower is the same as any year HO. The accessories are tighter to the motor in the T-birds and 94-95 mustangs, so this would be a benefit over the fox body accessories when swapping into such a confined space. For more info on T-birds check out www.tccoa.com. I'd love to swap a 5.0 into my 92 XJ, but I keep blowing them up in my 95 T-bird (swap of coarse!)

Thanks,
Brad

I know the newer body mustangs(94-) and markvii used pretty hefty electric fans.... not sure about the old stangs. Try to get the engine harness and pcm too.... you will need a manual trans pcm.
The truck 5.0 or 5.8 would be cool, but they are tall!!! Arent the zf's kinda large?? I would say a 5.0 HO with ZF (if it would fit) or c-6, and BW t-case from a f150 to keep it simple....

Ford Taurus electric fans are the hot setup as well. From the 3.8 equipped cars iirc. The Borg Warner t-cases have an issue with the atf fluid pickup spinning on the mainshaft and pulling it out of the pump. The case no longer gets lubricated and goes to junk, plus there really isn't much aftermarket out there for them. If you go C4 or C6, try to find a 1970 or newer tranny. The gear ratios are identical in both tranny's, the C6 is just longer and stronger. But you gain some driveshaft length with the C4, and if you keep the weight down strength isn't an issue. I don't know if you could make it work, but I had an NP435 4-speed in a 79 Bronco, and it would craaaawl with that granny gear. 6.69:1 first gear ratio. Plus, that bitch is bombproof. And an NP205 bolts right up to the back of one.

Back