• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

#16a Saddle Up - News and Updates

Any word on extending it? Or is it on us to walk a trail up to firebreak5.

Any modifications or extensions to the trail are totally up to us to figure out. Once we have an idea we can propose it to ODF.

Personally, I'd like to see some more rock hauled in to make the climb up to hill from both directions more interesting. It would also be nice to make the two other flat sections more fun and challenging as well.

Lets take some time next weekend, and talk about what we want to see happen.

Any modifications or extensions to the trail are totally up to us to figure out. Once we have an idea we can propose it to ODF.

Personally, I'd like to see some more rock hauled in to make the climb up to hill from both directions more interesting. It would also be nice to make the two other flat sections more fun and challenging as well.

Lets take some time next weekend, and talk about what we want to see happen.

Totally, Those sharp turns that are off camber could be made very interesting with some rocks. It could make them nice and of camber and keep them from getting dug out more.

September 11th, a few of us went to the ODF work party to work on the trail. We rebuilt pretty much all the water bars on the first section, and then did some brushing on the hill climb. Nice job guys!

P1050384.jpg

P1050385.jpg

I think the trail is in much better shape this winter than last.

Now onto some ideas!

Saddle Up also includes two short "flat" gravel road type sections after the hill climb. I've been trying to figure out something we could do with them, since right now I believe a Kia could run them. The first section has a small incline leading up to the hill and is roughly 20yrds long, and the second flat section is roughly 100yrds long and pretty much all flat. Right now I don't consider them a trail, but more or less a blank canvas.

I think it would be cool to turn these to brutally easy sections into rock/log crawls. I'm thinking kind of a mix between the rock garden on FB5 and the rock sections on Airplane Hill. We could easily control the difficulty with the size rock used. For example mixed sizes would create climbs and holes like FB5, and similar sized rock would create a semi level obstacle to get through like Airplane Hill. The catch is I want to add a few really big logs into the mix, and maybe a huge stump too (stump crawl?).

I know Evans has/used to have log pile to play on, and it seemed to work out well. I think we could use the logs to provide support for the rocks, so they aren't always shifting around. The sections are short enough to where it would still be easy to get a broken vehicle out, and equipment in for maintenance. Depending on how sick and twisted we get, I'm thinking we could turn the those previous easy sections into a triple black extreme trail. :cool:

Thoughts? The trail is there, it's up to us to "improve" it. I'd love to add another top five obstacle to TSF.

A version of the Top Truck Challenge frame twister would be interesting. Maybe substitute the water with rocks and use bigger boulders to anchor the log ends or dig the middle out slightly and bury the ends.

I like the ideas Dustin. I almost think on a flat section like these, maybe just dumping in some rock and a cpl fat logs, and then filling in with fill dirt and then let nature take its course. it will wash out and settle on its own and create a nice obstacle. Super easy to do. just add material and let it do its thing :)

I would also like to throw out the idea of maybe adding some larger size rocks (aka 2-4 offset boulders) to the slightly off camber rutted corner just above where we added the log for water run off. i think it would add to the "off camber-ness" and make for a knarly uphill climb when running the trail the other direction...

Muah ah ah ah ahhhhh

I like the ideas Dustin. I almost think on a flat section like these, maybe just dumping in some rock and a cpl fat logs, and then filling in with fill dirt and then let nature take its course. it will wash out and settle on its own and create a nice obstacle. Super easy to do. just add material and let it do its thing :)

I would also like to throw out the idea of maybe adding some larger size rocks (aka 2-4 offset boulders) to the slightly off camber rutted corner just above where we added the log for water run off. i think it would add to the "off camber-ness" and make for a knarly uphill climb when running the trail the other direction...

Muah ah ah ah ahhhhh

I had the exact same idea for the corner. My only concern with adding rock is the clay based soil under it. Especially on a corner I see the rocks getting dug out into some pretty big ledges like Airplane Hill experienced last year. It would be fun, but it would also take a lot of maintenance when wet (ie: possible seasonal closure).

On the flat sections though there won't be any climbing so the chances of it getting dug out are slim to none. I think we could turn those sections into some a pretty fun obstacle without a whole ton of work to the trail like you said.

Next time we're up there we'll have to take a look at it and see if it's feasible.

I Have also been thinking the flat section is the perfect little stretch to really do something with..

Man I haven't been here much at all sense my rig took a crap on me. Not to sure when I can afford to get it fixed but would really like to be able to make it out to the trail to see how things are looking and help out with the work. Anyone willing to let this broke joke of a guy ride shot gun with them sometime please let me know.

CJ

See I'm so broke I can't even afford to get my red letters back lol

Email I recieved from ODF -

Hi Everyone,

Spring has almost sprung and it’s nearly time for the first OHV Trail Work Party of 2011!

Date: Saturday, March 19, 2011

Time: 9:00 – 2:00

· 4x4s / Quads = Rogers Camp (with Jahmaal Rebb 503.359.7463)
· Motorcycles = Diamond Mill (with Dave Hiatt 503.815.7024)

Project Work:
· Trail assessment. Get out on the trails and help ODF prepare spring spruce up work plans by completing trail assessments

A big thanks to the groups co-hosting this work party – Oregon Motorcycle Riders Association, Trailsmen Motorcycle Club, Inc., and Flat Broke and Four Wheelin’ !

Stephanie A. Beall
Recreation Coordinator
Tillamook State Forest
801 Gales Creek Road
Forest Grove, OR 97116
http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/tillamookstateforest

Anyone planning on going ? Not sure our trail has thawed out yet ?

You guys that go wheelin this weekend, please let us know what the snow levels look like up towards Saddle-up, if you make it up that direction anyway...

WE did Cedar Tree and fire break 5. After we got out from the 3rd leg of Cedar Tree we decided to bypass the steep s shaped hill climb. as the snow/slush was getting gnarlier. we didn't wanna risk catastrophe. The road from that point down to beaver dam road was really thick with snow.and the road had many fallen trees across it. FB5 was pretty much equally mixed with mud slush and snow. We were on fb5 when the hail and heavy rain that hit the city hit us first. If it continues to rain like it is all week, I don't see why saddle-up wouldn't be accessible.

Back