• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

12 Pack Fab Works latest project- '90 XJ, 5.0 V8, Dana 60s

Silly rabbit, of course it is going to bind because it isn't store bought and it doesn't have a roof rack or a snorkle.

Actually it will probably have a decent roll center that is almost the same as a stock XJ and but more anti-squat than is ideal. Now with that said I really don't think that it is has a really big effect on climbing as say the rear. What I do know is if you put it together and the rig bounces... Try again.

scampbell53 said:
Silly rabbit, of course it is going to bind because it isn't store bought and it doesn't have a roof rack or a snorkle.

Actually it will probably have a decent roll center that is almost the same as a stock XJ and but more anti-squat than is ideal. Now with that said I really don't think that it is has a really big effect on climbing as say the rear. What I do know is if you put it together and the rig bounces... Try again.

Wouldn't it be anti-drive, not anti-squat? And the way the front unloads on hill climbs plays a pretty big roll as I understand it.
Billy

We have been working on getting the engine wired and plumbed lately. One of the problems was the stock power steering pump location for the 302 is right where the steering box is on the XJ. We went with a smaller Explorer 5.0L ps pump, but then had to make a bracket to mount it and get a resevoir. I incorporated the York compressor into the bracket, but I'm not sure if I have enough belt contact on the pulley. Let me know what you think.

DSC02317.jpg

The belt is the wrong size, but you get the idea. The welder alternator will go below the stock alternator. Have to make a bracket for that too.

Take a look at a 97/98 TJ 2.5L ps pump, very small with a remote resevoir that mounts on the fan shroud, might solve the space limitations.

Looks to me you need to add an ideler pulley right before the p/s pulley. Then run the belt under the ps then over the york.

Trevorxj said:
Looks to me you need to add an ideler pulley right before the p/s pulley. Then run the belt under the ps then over the york.

We ended up mounting an idler next to the PS pump. The belt goes across the top of the York and pump, under the idler, then under the tensioner.
DSC02319.jpg

We also got the radiator and coolers mounted. It's a Be-Cool radiator and coolers for trans, power steering and engine oil.
DSC02320.jpg

scampbell53 said:
Looks good! That radiator is SEXY!

overrated ;)

and speaking of the HDPEABCs....remind me about the UHMW sheets

can we go wheeling yet? and someone needs to get that tub oot of the way before the wedding...i'm bringing the duke down there the 22nd!
:party: so during the reception we can all pitch in on it :wow:

JeepFreak21 said:
No trackbar and no hydro assist or hydro steer? Have you tested this out yet?
Billy

So this is what we have found out about the suspension... it doesn't work. It moves side to side too much. The uppers are supposed to run next to the oil pan, but they end up into the side of the oil pan when steering.

My solution is removing the drivers side upper link and using that space above the dif for a track bar. It starts at the frame above the center section, runs under the passenger upper link and connects in with the lower passenger link mount behind the axle tube.

cccj said:
So this is what we have found out about the suspension... it doesn't work. It moves side to side too much. The uppers are supposed to run next to the oil pan, but they end up into the side of the oil pan when steering.

My solution is removing the drivers side upper link and using that space above the dif for a track bar. It starts at the frame above the center section, runs under the passenger upper link and connects in with the lower passenger link mount behind the axle tube.

You think it woulda worked if you had hydrosteer?
Billy

I doubt it. The biggest problem is that the uppers are so long(longer than the lowers) that it is impossible to triangulate them enough. Part of the problem is the shape of the oil pan on the 302; another is trying to keep the lift hieght as low as possible.

Some updated suspension pics;
DSC02359.jpg

DSC02361.jpg

After some issues with trans fluid pressure causing it to not shift, we had it out for light wheeling today. Everything except the steering worked good. The fitting needs to be changed on the pump so it doesn't leak.

Back