• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$11 Bastard Leaf Pack Writeup. *Tons of pics*

Very nice write up and excellent pictures. Congratulations.
I was wandering if there is a similar solution that does not add any lift. The only thing I need is to raise to the stock height, at the level before the leafs sagged.
Thanks
Boris

My friend found some old xj spring packs, cut the ends of the main leaf, and added it to his existing pack. Got him back to stock height.

Update. Went wheeling a couple days ago and the jeep did excellent. A huge inprovement over the tired stock suspension. It is a lot smoother off road than it was previously. The pack has good flex to match the RE front. The brakeline extension by using the 95 wrangler rear brakeline was a must. Rear seems to have "settled" and it is now a lot smoother on road. I am very glad that I completed the project and it was well worth it. It was my first major project into the jeep and I learned a lot. I really appreciate NAXJA for the information and support of the members and users. I will get pictures on here someday when I have access to a digital camera or develop some regular film on CD.

I did this lift last week(used 2 middle springs from s10 pack), along with front ford springs. It netted about 3 inches or so. It was a pretty smooth install. This thread helped alot. Havent been wheeling yet, transfer case doesnt want to shift into 4lo, but as soon as I do, will post update.

super sweet, read about it last nite, did it today. achieved 5" of lift by re-using my RC 2" shackles. Good bye AAL! thanks jpb

can i use leafs out of a YJ pack? are they the same width?

FWIW i'm still running these packs with my fullwidth 44/14bff combo. They haven't sagged and are still doing their job. I'm really suprised with how much abuse they have held up to so far. I'll post some pics of the new setup in a little while.

What if your leafs are flat in the back? can you still use your main to build this, or would you suggest finding a new set of XJ leafs?

what if you use half-ton leafs that are still 2.5" wide, whould they be too stiff?

it shouldn't matter if your leaves are flat, as long as they aren't inverted at the eyes if you know what i mean. if they look overly stressed then yeah find some better leaves. And if you are using 1/2 ton leaves what are they from? they need to be arched pretty well, the nice thing about the s-10 is that they are spring under axle, so they have a lot of arch to them.

GreenbeltXJ said:
what if you use half-ton leafs that are still 2.5" wide, whould they be too stiff?

I'll be able to tell you soon. I've got packs from a 1500 Ram that I'm going to try. I expect a stiff ride, but don't care as long as they flex OK. I hope to get them on before November.

I want to do something about my jeep. It's really really bad. It has 211k on the clock and I'd like to see a difference of about 3" which would put it at slightly higher than the height of a Grand cherokee. Is there any other modifications other than modifying the leaf pack that I Would have to take to accomplish this lift ? Here is a picture of how my jeep sits now.

100_1399.jpg

the ram leaves are going to be too flat i think, also the center pin is probably larger, but it is on the s-10 packs anyway. I'm gonna guess you'll gain the thickness of the leaves added, plus an inch or so possibly. I hate to be a skeptic, but I would be suprised to see 8" out of it...and i coulda sworn ram leaves were 3"...but i'm used to dealing with 2500's

btw, i'm running the s-10 leaves with helper spring and custom 1" lift shackles I made, gives me about 4.5-5" lift and its not showing any signs of sagging after 1 year and it has certainly been loaded down several times and wheeled good and hard. when i get the $, they are going to be replaced with some new taller leaves, but i'm keeping them in the family, they're going straight on my 87 =D

nice pics man. looks like i got some work to do. HEY, anyone know where i can get a set of 92 s10 leafs??

I figured I'd post a couple pics of mine. I'm using what are said to be F-150 springs. I went to the junkyard and searched through a bunch of packs they had in a pile when I found them.
I used the ford shackles and got about 6.5" from them. They actually flex and ride pretty well, better than the s10 springs I had before.
I have adjusted the wheelbase since the first pic was taken, you will notice the rear axle is closer to the front. It has also settled to ~6.5", in the pic it's closer to ~7+"
DSCF0600.jpg

xjacoperhead.jpg

muddygp said:
the ram leaves are going to be too flat i think, also the center pin is probably larger, but it is on the s-10 packs anyway. I'm gonna guess you'll gain the thickness of the leaves added, plus an inch or so possibly. I hate to be a skeptic, but I would be suprised to see 8" out of it...and i coulda sworn ram leaves were 3"...but i'm used to dealing with 2500's

I should have been more specific. I only want about and inch and half out of the Ram leaf - just clearing 30's. The center pin is bigger and I'll have to deal with that. The leaves have more arch than most of the full AALs I've seen. The longest Ram leaf (not main) is a perfect fit right under the XJs main leaf, so no cutting. I have inspection in October and I'll start my BB right after. Oh, and the biggest reason for me using 1500 Ram leaves - they were free.

Back