• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$11 Bastard Leaf Pack Writeup. *Tons of pics*

bshaw said:
Not to highjack here, but I'm really considering doing kind of the same thing here. I already have a RE 3.5 leaves installed, no sag yet and I'm looking to take it up another 2". Does anyone know if I could just add some of the s-10 leaves to the RE leaves and get another couple of inches? Anyone ever tried this? Thoughts, or any ideas? Thanks a head of time!

BTW nice write up Tim :cheers:

I think you might get another inch max. But the only way to find out is try.

Awesome right up. What kinda lift were you running before? Reason I ask is bc I currently have a 3"aal fromm rusty's, and of course the rear has started to sag. Just wanna try to figure out beforehand what I will have to do to the front to even it up. Thanks

A freind posted a link to this write up. Excellent job. I paid someone else to do this for me with XJ leaf packs and 1.5" shackles (for 0.75" lift). Actually, I had to have it done and then it needed rework after I broke stuff.

My only differences are:
#1 I found Superlift bend clips for $6.00 a pair, two pairs needed.
#2 The pro I paid bent the bend clips differently. The long tangs are bent over the outside of the clip, so spring flex cannot reopen them.

This write up is one of the very best I've seen on this subject.

I was running a 3" Rough Country kit with the AALs. Up front now I have the 3" Rough Country coils and a 1.75" spacer and it sits just about level.

MFW,

The clips are rebent that way now. I wasn't really paying attention when I put them on at first.

bigwhitey said:
Since it was a used leaf pack all the breaking in should of been done before it was installed. Thats one of the great things about building your own springs. Just think, If you bought a new $300 pair of leaf springs they'd be below 4" right now and you'd be p.....
The packs where broken in, but the main leaf wasn't used to sitting at 4.5" of lift arch. Once it "settled in", they ran great.

Timmay said:
I was running a 3" Rough Country kit with the AALs. Up front now I have the 3" Rough Country coils and a 1.75" spacer and it sits just about level.

MFW,

The clips are rebent that way now. I wasn't really paying attention when I put them on at first.

Wow, same kit as me, too. I need a 1" or smaller spacer to make mine level again.

I did the same to my bend clips I first got with the AALs and didn't know why they kept loosening up.

Well I'm gonna try this next week I hope?
I wanna get around 3"-3 1/2" when done so what do you think? Just leave out the very top S-10 leaf (the one you need to cut the eyes from) and put the rest on?
Do you think it will work?

canadianwheeler said:
Looking at my S10 leafs i noticed the center pin hole is offset about a 1 inch to one side. Does the long face the back or front of the xj?
I'm pretty sure that goes to the back. Just hold it up to the main leaf and see which way the stock pin is offset.

Tally_XJ said:
Errrrmmm........ where the hell are the pics??? I dont see a single pic?!?
Pg. 4. If you still dont see them, the server they are on utilize the :81 port, so you may be SOL if you are at work or have a firewall.

Welp... based on this writeup I'm doing the same. Got a 4 1/2" main leaf (barely sagging). Then I have the packs from a wagoneer, dakota and s10. I wanna try to get about 7" or so and shackles to match the 8.5" coils I got for the front.

Actually only cost me $65 for all 3 packs and about 2hrs time to remove them at the salvage yard. Was easy getting them off when you don't really have to worry about breaking anything!!!

I did this about 2 weeks ago but did not use the main leaf off of the dakota springs. I was only looking for about 3". I ended up with 4 but thats okay I just added a spacer to the front. My problem now is the main leaf on both sides are now bent. They bent just infront of the dakota leafs that I added. I am now looking for a used set of xj springs and I will add in the main leaf off of the dakota next time. Any one else have this problem by not using the main off the dakota leaf pack?

fryed_1 said:
Welp... based on this writeup I'm doing the same. Got a 4 1/2" main leaf (barely sagging). Then I have the packs from a wagoneer, dakota and s10. I wanna try to get about 7" or so and shackles to match the 8.5" coils I got for the front.

Actually only cost me $65 for all 3 packs and about 2hrs time to remove them at the salvage yard. Was easy getting them off when you don't really have to worry about breaking anything!!!

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2093000-2093999/2093492_1_full.jpg
This is my 99' XJ on 33's(need bigger)
with Dana 44 rear and New S10 springs,2" BDS AAL,1 1/2" RRO lift shackles and RE 1 1/2" block.Not sure how much lift I got out of this but it was alot! I have RE 4.5 coils and 2" spacers in the front and I'm about 2" lower in front than back(need 6.5 coils)

XJAY1999 said:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2093000-2093999/2093492_1_full.jpg
This is my 99' XJ on 33's(need bigger)
with Dana 44 rear and New S10 springs,2" BDS AAL,1 1/2" RRO lift shackles and RE 1 1/2" block.Not sure how much lift I got out of this but it was alot! I have RE 4.5 coils and 2" spacers in the front and I'm about 2" lower in front than back(need 6.5 coils)
I'll be dumping my 6.5 coils in a few weeks probably, that or tossing them on my 88 xj.

Yours probably looks a bit higher as well with the flares on. Stock flares would probably look more like mine does right now.

OK, now I am going to do this install so, mainly bc rusty's aal sagged in a matter of months. Anyone know if I can use the shocks that I got from him? Also, if this net's me 4" in the back, should I just put a spacer up front to even it out, and will I need new lca's? Any input would be appreciated.

This sounds like a winner to me. I have a 3" aal now but it has sagged like h311. Do I need to get a SYE first or would a transfer case drop do it for me? It never made any noise or had any problems with the full 3" lift. what year springs should I look into from a Dakota or S10?

Back