• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 ton steering reamed too deep

Floyddparsons

NAXJA Forum User
Like usual I just couldn’t stop, ran the reamer a little too deep on my knuckle, then did it again on the other side. So I cut some copper tubing and used it like a bushing so the TRE’s would seat better. What’s the worst that could happen? I figure I’ll know if it wears and gets loose. Right?

Thanks I couldn’t remember what size hole the inserts needed. I’ll measure tomorrow. They’re deep enough so that the nuts will barely bottom out when installed. Then the joints would have very little articulation.

They make them in 7/8" or 1" but if your talking about XJ knuckles they are dirt cheap at the P-n-P.

One of mine was a bit to deep. I did as Evans recommends and drilled for an insert. Worked well. I did my next WJ knuckles with inserts. I'd prefer having them reamed though.

Thanks so much guys. I’ll be ok with inserts-my widest point is .85” right now. But I will see about new knuckles as well. That way maybe I won’t have wasted the money I forked over for the reamer.

Learning is far more valuable than the cost of that reamer.
Ream it insert it learn from it, move on.

Tools are never a waist of money drugs and alcohol is

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I did it to. Reamed drivers knuckle to deep.
Pulled boot off and it is still fine but can visually see it.
I'll be getting another knuckle to ream. Live and learn is what it's all about.

It was only like 20 bucks for the pair of wj knuckles at the salvage yard so some time and some money learning lesson.
19b38b6f9c1a0dd55278302a2a8e9152.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Back