• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1.75" square tubing EXO ??

barillms said:
Nobody is joking here. Not all us rich-boys can afford to grab dad's plastic and have the local fab shop build us a custom cage for $3,000.

Weld in cage kits can be had for under $500 shipped and I don't know many shops that would charge 3K for a cage (maybe a chassis). You might need to use your own plastic but you are seriously exagerating the costs of a well built cage.

if your going to do it do it right the first time. if you say you cant afford it right now then wait. better to spend the cash and do it right the first time then have to spend even more money by having to make a second one. also did you ever wonder why dom or hrew is more expensive then square tubing?

I'm interested to see where this thread ends up and to see pics of the results. It's been an entertaining read to this point...

So what I understand up to this point is that:

-"Girly men" care about sheet metal and shouldn't be wheeling, yet you want to build an exo cage to protect that sheet metal (among other things, yes I know...).

-You are wheeling in Ohio (I grew up in NE Ohio) where there is mud and trees, yet an exo will make the rig wider and heavier, both of which are disadvantages in trees and mud.

-You've got a guy a few posts up who's defending the exo idea claiming that he wheels "hardcore" on an open D30 front and 32's.

If you really want cheap - build a small internal cage protecting just the driver/passenger area and call it good.

On a side note: Since Paragon is closed/closing, and Wellsville is privately owned now and closed/closing, and Attica is at least 6+ hours away from Eastern Ohio, where do you go wheeling?

Seems to me i've seen several threads from guys who were set on building their cage out of square tube.

But then we never actually get to see the end result, is that cause they did it and were to embarrased to show it?

Is it because they got talked out of it and built one out of round?

Is it because it was all just talk to begin with and nothing ever got built?

Is it because they rolled from being top heavy and collapsed, killing the drivers?

I for one would like to see one actually get done, doesn't mean I won't make fun of it, but i'd sure like to see some pic's of it.

And i'd really like someone to do a real clean job of it, and maybe even prove everyone wrong.

Don't think it will happen though!

I do remeber seeing a picture of one, I think it was on a Datsun truck, it was UGLY!!

We wheel at Wellsville and many many other spots locally. Wellsville isn't closing and won't ever.
Eastern Ohio is loaded with trails and so is South Eastern Ohio, Wayne National Forest, Ludlow and
many places you don't know about homey. My back yard perhaps! (Better than Wellsville :)

Other guy:
So square is heavy, but round isn't? lol...
So an exo round doesn't make your rig wider? What are we saying here... ??
I might add 150-200lbs.... that's not gonna hurt anything.
So you're saying adding tools and your full size spare weight to your rig on ride day hurts the performance in the mud because of weight? Well, just leave your spare at home next time to be safe.

Round tubing such as HREW is more expensive because there's a less demand and because the process to make something perfectly round is more involved than making square material.

I have a feeling nobody has done it, that's why there are no pics.
I may be the first... A pioneer shall we say? Ahh hell, I can't wait to build my $200 exo cage and paint is florescent pink to make everybody who lays eyes on her shutter with terror.

Last edited:
Round tubing will wiegh less than square tubing and a square edge will have a harder time sliding over a tree than a a round surface. If you are set on doing it, go for it. At least if a bend or joint fails on an exo it most likely won't hit anybody inside the jeep. Take pics and enjoy your ugly jeep with pink paint. I really don't think a cage is anything to cheap out on but others seem to think it's worth the risk.

barillms said:
Its not about expensive material, it's about design. And I happen to be a designer.

Actually, that's horrid logic. The design of a round member is superiour to a square one when the load is not going to be from a predicatable plane. So, you're making a compromise in design to make up for it with a better design? That is, unless everything I've read was based purely on myth (there's a thread on here that states square is stronger in every way - I read it and kinda went 'wtf?')

Whatever. I think you can do it an make it work. I actually want you to do it and beat the piss out of it to see what happens. I have an idea that involves square that would see similar usage - but I don't talk about it openly.

barillms said:
Better than nothing... and that's what I have now.
Its not about expensive material, it's about design. And I happen to be a designer.

The better than nothing logic toward cage building is one of the scariest an most persistant ideas in the offroading world. A cage built out of the wrong material will cause more damage than no cage at all. It a piece of 2" tubing comes loose and strikes you, it will hurt and that cage will provide very little if any additional role protection because it failed. Use lots of gussets, and triangles. And being a "designer" doesn't make you immune from bad desicions or hard roles on the trail. Building it right the first time should apply to cages above all.

Round tube has a less chance of buckling and or collapsing under compression than square tube. But think of it this way, how many vehicles with exo-cages have you seen roll and have zero or minimal damage to the cage and body. A Exo-cage is nice when bouncing off of trees and rocks. If you are going to use the square, use the 1/4 wall for the rockers and main pillars, maybe even the front fenders if you are going to bounce off of trees, and the 1/8 wall for everything else. I had 2x2 1/8 square tubing as a rear bumbper and wrap around fender protection for a while on my CJ and wheeled it pretty hard with Dana 44's and 38's, and didn't have a problem. And lots of times, that bumbper was the only thing supporting the jeep from tipping back.

If you use the thin material, avoid long sections of tubing, I.E. brace it whenever possible. I have seen a few XJ's with the Exo-cage tied into the body. If built properly, that can stiffen the body greatly and offer protection in roll overs. It is a lot easier to bend/buckle steel than a lot of people think. I say go for it as long as you take the time to do it right.
Oh and post pics of the build please.

Oh yeah, bending the square tube over and then welding it is nice because you strain harden the steel, but then the heat from the weld anneals it anyway. You might be better off just cutting it completely and than butt welding it. This will avoid some of the residual stress left over after welding. You may also want to go over the joints with a propane torch and heat it to a VERY dull glow, and than let it air cool to remove all of the residual stresses in the cage.

Making 90s you cut two wedges out, so it's takes two 45 bends a couple inches apart to form the 90s for the main pillers. The cross braces will be butt-welded and gussets will be used.

This is how to properly make 90s with square tubing,
You don't butt weld 90s. You may apply heat to help bend

90.jpg

just my two cents but 21' of 1 5/8 3/16 wall hrew here in indiana is $53 I will have $212 in my roll cage. when it is said and done. I'm 6-2 and 300 lbs plenty of room I hardly notice its there. I bent mine with the exhaust bender here at the shop I manage.
Square tubing is not the safest idea. When was the last time you saw a professional rock crawler run square tubing?
I have rolled mine without a cage. I would rather do it without than do it with the wrong one. Wellsville is cool but not as extreme as some other places I wheeled.

Like I said just my 2 cents

Scott

mattyg said:
question for all
square tube or shd40 for an exo??
built by machinists, welders and fabricators

sched 40 pipe, make sure its structural pipe astm a53

quite a few formula offroad buggies are built out of it, and most structural towers and large cranes lifting thousands of tons are built of pipe.

Personally, I commend you for having a new idea. Round tube is used most often for a reason - it works best. That is not to say that square is not good. Of the 2 I would use square as well. My reasoning for square is also "because it's different." There are a lot of people saying that it will look ugly or look like ass - it's your rig so it just has to look good in your eyes. Keep in mind that just because a cage is built from round does not mean it's stronger than a cage built from square - it's all in the build quality. Just take your time and don't skimp on materials. On the design I came up with (a design is just a design until it's built) I have myself using square bar stock for the main supports and tie ins, but then tube for the other supports. It does add weight, but you made a good comment earlier - what doesn't add weight? Best of luck in your build of YOUR cage! Don't let anyone change your mind on what works for YOUR rig!:peace:

Back