• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1.75" square tubing EXO ??

88rockxj said:
sched 40 pipe, make sure its structural pipe astm a53

quite a few formula offroad buggies are built out of it, and most structural towers and large cranes lifting thousands of tons are built of pipe.

same goes for square tubing
i think square tubing is used more in structural stuff(cranes and towers) than shd 40 pipe

mattyg said:
same goes for square tubing
i think square tubing is used more in structural stuff(cranes and towers) than shd 40 pipe

i disagree, i see alot more towers and cranes built of pipe (not sched40 necessarily) because imo round is better when you have forces coming from multipile directions. if you know and can control which direction the force is coming from then square is stronger, that is why round is better for a cage. becuase there are forces coming from different directions. schd 40 is just a good size for what we do, i will be building my next exo with it along with a couple dom pieces.

square is uglier and not as strong for this application IMO, strength should come first and formost!

besides having built two exos of pipe this is all from what ive read, i very well could be wrong.

Come on guys...the strength difference between a 1.75" O.D tube or pipe and 1.75" square tube with similar wall thicknesses is pretty minimal assuming they are of a similar grade of steel...i.e. A53 Grade B pipe has a yield strength of 35 ksi and the minimum for structural steel is 36 ksi. When comparing these two options your strength comes from a good design and good fabrication practices. Point being you can make a fine cage out of square tube if the connections are strong and the design is sound...it will just look pretty fugly!

Obviously this doesn't hold true if you start comparing structural steel square tube to some higher strength round tube but that again can be addressed in the design.

barillms said:
You seriously used pipe? I thought that was a huge No No?

for webwheelers that dont know what the f thier talking about, no its not as good as tube but like bender mentioned the design is far more important.

search the internet and find me a picture of a failed cage due to being built of pipe and ill show you 10 pictures of failed cages built of dom, like i said before its been done and it works. one of the formula offroad guys over on pirate also posted that many of the formula offroad buggys over seas are built of pipe, those things get tossed down steep hills rolling end over end violently. i feel perfectly comfortable building my exo out of pipe, the internal x bracing on mine will be built of dom but most will be pipe.

bender round is stronger in some cases and square is stronger in others, but like i said earlier when you have multiple directions of force the round tube/pipe will spread that force out to more material within itself. square will usualy apply that force to two of the flat surfaces, but as you said it is very minimal in difference.

88rockxj said:
i feel perfectly comfortable building my exo out of pipe, the internal x bracing on mine will be built of dom but most will be pipe.

i have never seen an exo with an interior x
not that it has never been done
i plan on a pipe exo with interior x, i need to see a pic to visualize it(duh) i'll need one behind front seats and rear seats
any pics out there

mattyg said:
i plan on a pipe exo with interior x, i need to see a pic to visualize it(duh) i'll need one behind front seats and rear seats
any pics out there

no pics that i can think of, ill have pics this summer when i start building it

mattyg said:
any pics out there

Look at any typical internal cage with X's in those places. Now, just extend the X to the outside of the vehicle at the roof line to tie-in with the roof portion of the exo. On the lower parts I would probably say just to tie them into the floor over the uniframe rails. But that's me.

The steel used in cranes is very different then what you going to build a roll cage out of. It's a high martensite steel that is super strong but also very brittle.

You don't want marensite anywhere near the steel you use for a cage. An no, round does not distribute forces any better. For torsion yes it does, which we are not really dealing with, and for buckling yes a round shape is better but thats in a pure compression loading, cages are hardly ever in pure compression. For point loads sqaure or rect is better. Tube tends to dent with point loads, and how the stress is spread is more a function of joint design.

It will work fine. Only of my old buddies built his entire cage from square on his crusier and it worked awesome. And it got laid over plenty.

For the joints I would just cut and fold over then weld. It's just mild steel right so you shouldn't have to worry about the welds cooling to quickly I don't think.

Build it, use you head, make sure your welds are good and you'll be fine.

mattyg said:
any pics out there

here you go, sick exo...

Toy_Exo.jpg

Weasel said:
The steel used in cranes is very different then what you going to build a roll cage out of. It's a high martensite steel that is super strong but also very brittle.

You don't want marensite anywhere near the steel you use for a cage. An no, round does not distribute forces any better. For torsion yes it does, which we are not really dealing with, and for buckling yes a round shape is better but thats in a pure compression loading, cages are hardly ever in pure compression. For point loads sqaure or rect is better. Tube tends to dent with point loads, and how the stress is spread is more a function of joint design.

It will work fine. Only of my old buddies built his entire cage from square on his crusier and it worked awesome. And it got laid over plenty.

For the joints I would just cut and fold over then weld. It's just mild steel right so you shouldn't have to worry about the welds cooling to quickly I don't think.

Build it, use you head, make sure your welds are good and you'll be fine.

very interesting, thank you for sharing that i appreciate it. :cheers:

Weasel said:
here you go, sick exo...

Toy_Exo.jpg

Man, I have not seen Daves old rig in YEARS!! That was right after he finished it. This stuff that guy could build helped make me want to learn how to bend tube... To bad that thing is long gone.

But now knowing what i know, if I would have known anything when I was sitting there watchin him build it, I would have done a million things different.

I saw a early k5 today with a square tube roll bar, it looked ghetto. maybe if you do better job. It could look good. anybody see that early bronco from uroc that was in hammer down? It had rectanguler fender bars and it looked great

Scrappy said:
Man, I have not seen Daves old rig in YEARS!! That was right after he finished it. This stuff that guy could build helped make me want to learn how to bend tube... To bad that thing is long gone.

But now knowing what i know, if I would have known anything when I was sitting there watchin him build it, I would have done a million things different.

Wasn't it Tin_Bender on PBB that built it? Yeah it is definatly one of my favs to look at. I had pics of them rolling it somewhere too. Handle the roll really well.

It is your rig just build it the way you want to build it. I am not sure why you brought it up on this board you knew people would say WTF are you thinking.

Like I said it's your rig and you are the one who will be driving it. I won't build a exo out of square but that is just me. I am sure I've done things on my rig that people wouldn't do but oh-well. Quit talking about it and get started lets see the end result.

standard pipe and square tube are close to the same in this application.
its your rig build it with square.
i have a bender so id prob bend it using schedule 40 pipe.
DOM is stronger than standard pipe.
but show us your squared exoed XJ when done..

Back