• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

0331 head change results

I'm interested in this to, i have a 2000, so far i don't believe i have a head problem but I'd like to no what to do if i ever do, Is there a tutorial on replacing this head with pics? im new to engine work. with an older one? And still no word on if the 03+s are good or not. Also plan on doing away with the lp front axle.

Steadily losing coolant, no external leak, milky residue under oil cap, even when you clean it off every time = cracked 0331 head. Recently checked my Crown Vic and Mark VIII oil caps and no milky residue using same oil and coolant.

So say i get a older head and header/ new seals, can i just use a exhaust system for that older head? There is nothing new in the way or anything is there? I could just use a complete system out of a pre 00, head to tailpipe?

what would i need other than?

head
header
exhaust system.
seals.
some fabricated part for the coil.

A full exhaust system? Umm.. no.. you need to first find where your O2 sensors are.. whether you have a cali emissions package or federal. The simplest thing would be to get a aftermarket header for the 00-01 0331 head. It will bolt right up to your current exhaust system.. you haven't actually read through this thread or done a search, have you? Why don't you start there then ask questions.

all i saw was i needed a part from the 630 header to the 00 exhaust. and that i needed a 630 head and header, all i was wondering is since XJ's are so alike if it be easier to use the complete exhaust off a 630 Rather than having to find a person to make a piece. I AM NOTtalking about using my existing 0331 head i know the exhausts are not interchangeable. I do not see how my question is not valid. im talking about using a 630 head and header all the way to the tail pipe. If its fine to use a 630 head and header, i was asking if the bends are different for the rest of the exhaust. Around here there are no good junkyard exhausts, and if i were to do this upgrade for my head would i be better off using an exhaust meant for the head i was using?

Last edited:
The big issue would be the o2 sensor positions, like Talyn said. Hopefully you have the two sensor Fed instead of the four sensor Cali setup. I was going to do the same thing as you, but adapt in to the old exhaust or have a custom on made. (Maybe, if I find a job.) Your idea is not bad though. We need to check out what the stock '98 exhaust has. As far as other parts you might need, to compensate for that vintage header wanting to crack, I was going to carefully check my motor mounts out (likely replace) and probably add a stainless steel flex joint from Summit.

alright sounds good, i have a new England jeep nothing close to cali. Is there a header that people prefer? or just go for any one?
i ask these questions because i'm negotiating parts on a 96. i guess ill just get the head from it, has 115,000 on it, that's low for around here.

Thanks for the pics of the coil bracket, ill save that to memory.

There are Borla, ebay, in this thread. Some Chinese ones are super cheap, like $50 or so. I actually like the looks and simplicity of the stock one ('98) I got for $10 with my $50 head. Take a look at them as see what people have to say. From what they say though, they all crack if your motor mounts aren't good.

I've heard people have good luck with the Rugged Ridge header. And just because your XJ is in New England doesn't meant that it doesn't have the cali emissions package. My 2000 XJ was originally sold in NJ and it has the Cali package.

When I installed an APN on my '98 the only way you can tighten that bolt is with a box end wrench. It's damn near impossible to get a socket on that bolt. I used a gear wrench while laying on the ground...

Man i wish i had seen this post before i bought a used 2000 donor for my 98.
I'm i correct in saying that the intake on my 98 will fit the 2000 but the exhaust manifold will not work with either gasket ?
I just don't have any extra cash to spend on a after market exhaust system.
Do you think i should just sell the 2000 and start my search again for a 98?
Thanks in advance.

Use your '98 head and exhaust. Everything else can be 2000. Just need to rig snall brakets to help hold coil rail. You can use the 2000 intake if you want, not sure if it's any different than the '98. If you want to risk using the 2000 head too, the '98 exhaust should bolt up. It's just bigger, so use the '98 gasket too.

Why are you replacing the motor? If your head on the '98 is good, just lap the valves in a little bit and swap the head to the 2000 block.

Well the 98 has head issues , either bad head gasket or cracked head, low compression in 3 cylinders and 201,000 miles so i decided it would be better to just replace the motor. So i can't use the head.
Do you think it would be wise to avoid using the 2000 and find a 98.
The 2000 seemed to run fine in the donor with 110,000 miles on it.

Mine has 108k and has a cracked head, so I an negatively prejudiced. There is at least one, and I believe two other reported cases of cracks or porosity in the #1 cylinder bore also. I kind of wonder if they didn't start breaking the castings out of the sand too quick instead of letting them cure long enough. If I went out shopping for an XJ, I would be looking for a '98 this time. Personally, I guess I'd dump the 2000. Something you have to decide, but there are sure enough of them out there not to start with worse odds.

108,000 that"s not too promising , i had a hard time finding one with mileage under 150 k around here (Ohio)

If you keep searching threads of 2000's misfiring, etc., you'll find a lot more. Some as low as 65k. Somebody also reported that many (some, anyway) were replaced under warranty with welded heads, which sounds pretty shakey to me.

Back