• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 XJ 2WD, 5.3L 4L60E Build

When I put the LS2 XJ together I just shortened the lever on the tranny to give me the correct throw length and welded on the cable tab from the AW4 so the stock jeep cable would attach. I then modded the jeep cable mounting bracket and bolted that to the random tab sticking off of the trans bell housing (the tab is seen in your pic just below the cable mount).

You can look at the thread in AdFab and there are pictures of my solution there. I also modded the gates on the stock shifter and everything lined up perfectly except there was an extra gate between "1-2" and "3" on the shift indicator.

Found it! Great! Thanks for mentioning this; it'll save me some design work.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244945977&postcount=69

Worked more on the accessory brackets. I had the A/C and alternator brackets cut out on a waterjet, so they are more precise and look much nicer than when I cut them out on a bandsaw. I’ve had to re-do my A/C bracket because I’ve installed water pump spacers to get the W/P pulley to line up with the crank pulley; I used a car water pump.

Still have several spacers to make and other things to finish up on the A/C side of it. I'm ready to be done with these brackets! They're taking up so much time!

I get the frustration - seemingly minor stuff like that can wind up costing 5x what you'd thought and consume 7x the time.
It's looking good, though, and should be hella fun to drive when you get there.

Looks good. Can you show what did you do for the water pump spacers? I also used a car pump, but I yanked the pulley and pressed the truck pulley back on. It was a real PITA and I don't want to do it again if the pump fails.

John--yeah, I didn't want a custom water pump to deal with when it comes time to replace it. I used some spacers that I bought off of ebay.

Sorry for no updates. Here’s a catch-up.

Done with brackets! Removing 3/8” from the back of the P/S bracket was a pain. I messed one up and had to get another. Ended up scribing a line and using a grinder to bring the surface close and then finishing with a hand file. It came out well.

Had to buy spacers to use truck injectors with car intake.

It shifts correctly! Built new shift gate for stock shifter. Park will indicate correctly. Not sure about the others. No picture, but here’s one of the transmission end.

Driveshaft lengthened and installed. Couldn't believe that it had to be lengthened, but it did. Remember, mines just a 2WD.

Questions I need help with:

Where to put the battery? No room in stock location with A/C compressor. I'm thinking about cutting a rectangle in the floorboard, maybe under the pass seat, and welding in some type of steel battery box. Only other option is to put a sealed battery box in the back.

Exhaust—for now, I’m bringing the header down-tubes (2-1/4”) into a 2-into-1 cat and then converging down into the stock muffler. In the future, about the only option I see is increasing the stock tailpipe size to 2-1/2”. Running duals means moving small bits & pieces around. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Another thought on battery placement: how about mounted on the crossmember where the transfer case usually pokes out? I'd still use a battery box to protect it. Will it work?

i dig those brackets!! can you go over what you had to modify on the power steering pump?

also info on the water pump adapter and those truck to car manifold injectors as well if you can. i'll be copying a lot of what you did here, any idea on what you are doing for gauges?

i dig those brackets!! can you go over what you had to modify on the power steering pump?

also info on the water pump adapter and those truck to car manifold injectors as well if you can. i'll be copying a lot of what you did here, any idea on what you are doing for gauges?

I didn't have to modify anything on the P/S pump. I had to take 0.390" off of the back of the bracket and clearance the front of the bracket. My new aluminum pieces are 0.390".

Water pump adapter plates were from ebay. Current auction for them is titled "LS1 WATER PUMP SPACER conversion retro fit kit truck LQ4 to LS1 5.3L 6.0L LSX" from seller brp_racing_parts.

Injector spacers are from Smart Fire Injectors. They have a web store, but their prices are cheaper on ebay. http://www.smartfireinjectors.com/extenders.html
I thought there was a bit too much slop in the injectors, so I cut the "legs" off of the fuel rail, removed some material from them and welded them back on.

For the A/C bracket, the blocks are 1.75" tall and 1" wide. The front blocks are 0.75" long and the back brackets are 1.8" long. I waited to drill and tap the holes for the compressor bolts until it was all bolted up and the compressor was sitting on the blocks. I used a straight edge to align the compressor with the crank and then marked the holes and then took them off to drill and tap.

The front plate bolts to the water pump which is pushed forward by the water pump spacers I bought.

I have this fuel rail and would think it is a return style rail because of eh diaphragm pressure regulator, but WHERE IS TE RETURN LINE FITTING?

So confused on this one...

Back