• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 4.0 engine in a 96 body

neversummer369

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I'm trying to swap the engine out of my old rig. Found one on Craigslist for a couple hundred but it's a newer generation 01 mine is a 96. So I have heard it's totally possible and not too difficult to swap a newer engine in, I guess my question is will I need to buy any newer extra parts? Motor mounts match up? New wiring? I know the distributor on the old one is replaced with a coil pack on the new one. Anything else I should look out for be ready for?

everything will bolt up. as you said you'll have to swap in your distributor and coil as the 01 motor is COP and has no dizzy.
flex plates may be different but not likely.
exhaust manifolds will be different and you'll have to swap yours on
the 01 will have the horseshoe intake. you can use that.
everything else is the same as long as it came out of an XJ and not a WJ

So I will have to swap over my old distributor, exhaust manifold, and will the wiring from the older model work or do i.need a new wiring harness? What about gauge clusters?

yep, you essentially want to use the 01 as a long-block, with all your stock accessories and wiring.

If the head on your 96 is in good condition, you might want to swap that over too... 01 head castings are notorious.

I know this is a super old thread but i have had no luck So i am still looking for an engine to swap into my rig thats been sitting for over a year now. Does anyone have an engine laying around they might want to get rid of? know of anyone parting a cherokee or selling one on the cheap?

What about grand cherokee engines? Have any of you guys ever swapped a grand cherokee 4.0 into an XJ, if so was it worth the trouble? how many parts would i have to swap out?

Grand Cherokee 4.0's are ok until '99. They changed the block casting where the motor mounts are located - when they started putting V8's in Grands again, the mount locations to facilitate the two engine options required that the block get re-cast.

I have one of each - a '99 engine and a '93 engine, both lower miles, both in great condition, both will swap in easily to your '96.

PM me if you're interested in either of these.

Back