• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box upgrade

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I have read some threads about this , but I'm still not sure if the J-20 upgrade will work in an 88 XJ. What vehicles can I have an exact fit for my year XJ and get a better steering box. I read about a 99 Durango. Will that work in an 88 ? I'm assuming if I get it from a bone yard I don't want one that took a straight on hit or left front quarter hit. Thanks !

I'm running a Durango box on mine. Its a direct bolt in, with the exception of needing to space the box an additional 1/4" off of the "frame", maybe even a little less. HTH.

BrettM said:
I've yet to see a list of Durango models with the same style box. I know I saw a late 90s 2wd one in a junkyard and it had Rack and Pinion.
I got mine from a '99 Durango, 4WD. I'm not sure what other years worked.
PM Yellaheap. I got the idea from him.

Yup, 99 Durango here.

is that box better than stock??I was thinking of a ARG one can you explain the difference

Apparently. It has the bigger bore just like the desireable J-20 box that everyone likes. I noticed a big improvement in "ease" of turning the 36's on my XJ. I can't tell you how much of an improvement over stock because my pump and box were both toast when I replaced them. I also modded the pump a little when I did it too. HTH

Details more details I am running 35's now but want to strenghten what I have. What mods did you do to the pump also is it a direct bolt on I have a 99

I have the J20 box in mine,it is an '88 XJ.It was a direct bolt in.It turns my 37's and the 38.5's that where on it easier than my daily driver XJ turns the 29's.I have heard about the Durango deal is the same box as the J20.I think my end cap measures 2.5" and a stock XJ measures 2".

If you dont already have a J20 box I dont think you'll find one,they are pretty scarce.The replacement boxes for the J20 are just stock XJ boxes.

Whats the number of turns lock to lock on the Durango box. I need to replace mine as well.

As for the different boxes the 2wd drives have rack and pinion and the 4wd have the box. The newer body style might be all rack and pinion, don't know.

tvguy said:
Details more details I am running 35's now but want to strenghten what I have. What mods did you do to the pump also is it a direct bolt on I have a 99

The box is a direct bolt in, with the exception of having to space the box off the frame an extra 1/2" or less due to the larger end cap. I used washers as a temp. fix, as I have the C-Rok steering box stiffener laying on the work bench ready to go on. Merry Christmas to me!! Everything else is a direct bolt on including the feed and return lines, and the steering shaft I modded the pump with instructions from www.westtexasoffroad.com . Once again, I can't tell you the improvement over stock since everything was pretty wasted when I replaced it (I had been trying to turn in the rocks with a bent steering stabalizer piston for the entire day, stupid mistake on my part) The XJ does turn the 36's well now, not hydro assist well, but good enough for me. HTH.

MIke

Hey brett the only thing with hydro assist is ====is it safe for daily street driving. If it is then this is definitely something I want to look into for myself. Details man details.--------Kyle

hydro assist is PERFECTLY safe for daily driving, my truck is my daily driver at this point. there is some debate over whether full-hydro is safe, but hydro-assist keeps the stock system in place and the ram just helps it out.

click the link in my sig, go near the end of the thread and you will see some pics and info. AshmanXJ has a great writeup here, it's on the first page right now, there's also a link to it in my buildup thread.

Yup, the '99 Durango box is a direct swap as everyone else has indicated - except for having to space it away from the unibody a bit. The J20 box has an extra mounting flange allowing for 4 mounting bolts - most have cut the extra flange off to make it mount to the XJ. The J20 box also requires different ends for the pressure hoses so to me, that makes it a bit more of a PITA and adds to the expense.

As I've posted before, there's one issue everyone needs to be aware of when getting the Durango box. Certain applications use a box with internal spacers to limit the "lock-to-lock" throw (I have no idea why). In order to make the Durango box work for the XJ, you need to either ensure that you get a box without the internal spacers, or simply have a rebuild shop remove them.

How do you tell if your's has spacers? Simple, use a small punch thru the end of the box's case (there's a small hole around the edge just for this) and tap out the large snap ring that retains the dome shaped end cap. Any good rebuilder shop should have no problem doing this for you before you purchase a box from 'em. Turn the input shaft to press out the end cap and then look at the inside surface of the end cap. If you see 3 raised ledges around the inside surface - you've got spacers. If flat all around, then no spacers.

Removal of the spacers: Either swap out the end cap with one that doesn't have the ledges, or grind 'em off. The other spacer is at the opposite end of the piston chamber. You'll either need to already know how to rebuild the box, or have a rebuilder remove the piston and shaft to get to the spacer behind the piston - pretty complicated if you don't know what you're doing. That spacer looks like a large "rounded triangle" snap ring. Discard that spacer and re-assemble the box. This will give you the maximum "lock-to-lock" throw that the Durango box can have.

Mine works great!

BrettM said:
hydro assist is PERFECTLY safe for daily driving, my truck is my daily driver at this point. there is some debate over whether full-hydro is safe, but hydro-assist keeps the stock system in place and the ram just helps it out.

click the link in my sig, go near the end of the thread and you will see some pics and info. AshmanXJ has a great writeup here, it's on the first page right now, there's also a link to it in my buildup thread.

It is slightly slower though. I agree safe, On the highway I would say it has no negative affects, and for really slow rock crawling it has no negative affects but when in 4wd High 15-25MPH on some dirt roads you will have to slightly adjust your driving style (I also run spools front and rear so my traction is not great on dirt roads at these speeds). Full clock steering will be slightly slower.

Back