NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Comanche MJ (1985 - 1992)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Comanche MJ (1985 - 1992) Jeep's Cherokee-based compact pickup technical forum.

Old February 19th, 2013, 17:28
NAXJA Member #180

Re: George

Quote:
Originally Posted by High2by View Post
Is there any way to move the rear axle back an 1"? I want to lower mine but I want the wheel centered in the well.
Yes, but you have to weld on aftermarket perches on the axle. There are a few sets that are long, and have multiple sets of centering pin holes in them. Most will weld on right over the existing spring perch on the axle too. You have to clearance the upper u-bolt plate for the bolt and nut on top of the leaf springs too. It won't poke through the upper mount plate in the right spot if you move the axle front or back.
Old February 19th, 2013, 17:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in Pa. View Post
Yes, but you have to weld on aftermarket perches on the axle. There are a few sets that are long, and have multiple sets of centering pin holes in them. Most will weld on right over the existing spring perch on the axle too. You have to clearance the upper u-bolt plate for the bolt and nut on top of the leaf springs too. It won't poke through the upper mount plate in the right spot if you move the axle front or back.
Good point on the upper plate but would that cause any strength issues?

Sorry to jack the thread////

Is the last picture with the XJ shackle also?
Old February 19th, 2013, 18:41
NAXJA Forum User

George

Yes, last picture is 2" blocks and XJ shackle.
Old February 20th, 2013, 20:16
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by High2by View Post
Is there any way to move the rear axle back an 1"? I want to lower mine but I want the wheel centered in the well.
If you make your own lowering blocks and don't mind boring a second hole in the ubolt plate, it should be easy.

Get some steel plate the thickness of the drop you want, cut it to 2.5" wide, length to match the perch, bore a hole the size of the centering pin head on the bottom, 1" forward (or back, I guess) of centered along the length of the block. Then drill and tap a hole centered on the top of the block for the appropriate size grade 8 socket cap screw, loctite/torque the capscrew in, and you have a spacer... bore a hole 1" back from the factory centering pin hole in the ubolt plate and you are set. There's no real reason the centering pin has to be directly over the axle tube as long as it's captured by the perch/block/ubolt plate, in fact ruffstuff perch kits and (iirc) some ubolt eliminator perch kits have 3 holes for the centering pin in the plate and the perch so you can choose your wheelbase after installing the perches.

I think the major difficulty would be finding (and cutting) 2" steel plate. onlinemetals has 2x3" (cut 1/2" off one side and you have 2" block material for a 2.5" width spring...) for $52 a foot, iirc spring-under perches are around 3-4" long so figure two sets out of an 18" piece. I usually go to the local steel supply house and scrounge around in their drop stack if I'm looking for something this odd, they usually cut me a break if it's on the drop/scrap pile and they even have a giant bandsaw, I had them cut some 1"x7" bar stock I bought for recovery points on my bumper into 4 4" long pieces (1x4x7 solid steel blocks effectively) for a pretty reasonable rate. If you found something that would work and had it cut, you could probably get a set of solid steel leaf spacers for under 50 bucks, I can't even find solid steel spacers for that nevermind ones that can be used for offset mounting so I don't know that you'll get em any cheaper than that.

Of course if you know anyone with a big bandsaw or a hell of a plasma cutter you could probably cut that price even more.
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:59
NAXJA Forum User

Nice! amazed at how good of shape your floor boards are in!
Old February 22nd, 2013, 16:56
NAXJA Forum User

George

I got the front axle pulled last night to start work on the drop. As soon as it was out Dustin (TORX) decided to open my hood and break a 40 of Old English in my engine compartment. For no reason. That stopped all progress.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 17:38
NAXJA Forum User

Dropped Comanche is GAY. . HaHa.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 18:01
NAXJA Forum User

Get new aluminum blocks and a 36 grit flap disk on an angle grinder and round them to fit the contour.
Old February 25th, 2013, 18:19
NAXJA Forum User

George

Well since all the OE has dried I got to work on relocating the factory control arm mounts.

Uppers cut off

Uppers trimmed down and tacked into place;

This is where I had to stop because I was completely out of gas for the welder. I had zero gas because I let BPB borrow my welder and he brought my bottle back so empty there wasn't even a reading on the gauge. Unless I get off early one day this week, I won't be able to get to the welding supply shop until next Monday. FML.
Old March 1st, 2013, 13:45
NAXJA Forum User

Have you decided what wheel/tire combo you're gonna run?
Old March 17th, 2013, 22:45
NAXJA Forum User

George

So I spent the last two days with the help of my local chapter thrashing on my axle. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking, but the axle mounts were lowered 2.75", we trussed the bottom of the beam and knocked about 2" out of the center of beam to help with oil pan clearance. We also took a bent track bar, cut it and sleeved it to make it straight, and adjustable.

RedJeep2.0 "free-handing" the cut on the beam, because I was too scared.

Big thanks to RedJeep2.0 for the help there's no way I could have gotten this much done without his Arizona Tea fueled energy. Thanks to Mnkyboy for making my horrible notches look better. Also thanks to SpecFab for the use of their tools and their shop, without it I'd still be in my garage trying to cut the beam using a pile of cut-off wheels.
Old March 17th, 2013, 22:59
NAXJA Forum User

George

Today we (RedJeep and I) got the axle mocked into place and fooled around with the front ride height as well as overall clearances. Considering I made as lot of guessing and made things up as I went along, everything seemed to fit perfectly into place.

The rubber pads were removed from the upper bumpstop towers then I cut out the cup as well. Shortening the upper towers about 4". A little over 1.5 wraps were cut from the stock 2wd springs. Leaving a little less than 3" of up travel.

As far as what tires I plan to run, I'll be running a 235/75R15 for now since they're new. It didn't turn out as low as I had hoped, but it'll do for now. The rear is going down another inch, then I'll drive it for a while and see how it works.
Old March 18th, 2013, 06:19
NAXJA Forum User

Shorter, wider tires on Icons and lower! Looks great so far!
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:48
NAXJA Member

Needs 20s
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:50
NAXJA Forum User

No 20's. 16's. Alloy 16's. More of the street/strip look would be awesome.