• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Different gear ratios front/rear and t-case in 4 Wheel drive!

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
OK where to start.....

My jeep is running right now with 4.10's in the rear and 3.55's upfront for now until i get my new front gears installed. So of course i would never put the transfer case in 4 wheel drive but i never thought my 4 year old son would try pulling the lever.

I jumped into my jeep yesterday and drove back maybe 15 feet when i felt drive line binding and heard a clunk like a drive line clunk. Then i looked down and noticed my t-case was in 4 wheel drive. Looks like my son was playing in the truck and put it in 4 wheel drive ! I shut the jeep off right away. Put the transfer case into 2 wheel drive and for safe measure i pulled the front drive shaft. When i pulled the front drive shaft it was under so much pressure that it spun and bent one of the tabs on the d30 yoke and shot a U joint cap across the driveway.

My questions is how much damage could that of casued? Where should i check for damage? I have been driving my xj since and seems to drive fine. When in 4 low (WITH NO FRONT DRIVE SHAFT) at faster speeds i hear a bit of winding . Could that be anything?

You should be o.k. if 15' was all it was driven. If you would have driven foreward it would have taken the bind off the front driveshaft before you pulled it. The whine you hear in 4lo at higher speeds is normal.

Put all 4 wheels in the air....spin each tire carefully listening for any binding or grinding. If you hear anything youve probably broken an axle shaft or something in your carrier(unlikely as it was only driven 15 feet). If you dont hear anything, put your front shaft back in and drive it and see what it does. If its already broken, your not going to make it any worse by taking a short drive for the most part.

I am not too worried about the front diff since i am rebuilding it soon plus i have a yj dana 30 sitting in my garage for spare parts. What about the t-case? You would think it would of mest it up pretty bad? Two differnt drive shafts spining at different ratios?

BTW I drove back about 15 feet then forward maybe 10 feet. Maybe that unbind the drive shaft

Why didn't you just jack a wheel off the ground to release the wind up?

Back