• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 xj instrument panel not working

flinchy

NAXJA Forum User
non of the guages on my jeep will work the lights work and everything but no guages any ideas on whats wrong and how to fix it

thanks

Re: 96 xj instrument panal not working

Moving to OEM Tech.

This has been covered many, many times, the search button is your friend.

sorry for posting in the wrong area. i have searched but most only talked about post 97 models which are different then 96 im not sure what years share the same electrical systems with the 96 that is why i was asking

96 shares more stuff with 95 and down when it comes to the instrument panel.

You should probably start by checking all the fuses... and the connectors behind the instrument panel.

checked all the fuses and looked at the connections im not exactly sure what to look for it just looks like a massive mess of wires that makes me slightly nervous. im not sure if it just needs electrical grease or what and im also unsure of where the ground is or how to fix it if thats what it needs

Use some electrical contact cleaner, then some dielectric grease and see what that does.

Fuse 17 should have power in run and start, this will be in the underdash fuse box.

All of the white with black wires at the instrument panel connectors should have power from fuse 17.

If the above mentioned ignition feed is good then check your ground which is a black with lt. green at the instrument panel plug, it changes colors at the firewall connector to black with orange. it grounds at the back of the cylinder head.

hope this helps

Check fuse 17 as suggested...even if it looks good, replace with a new one anyways.

I bought a Cherokee awhile back w/non working gauges, drove it back to Idaho from Utah/Colorado border w/out speedo/temp gauge really working.

Wish I would have known to check the fuse, blew a head gasket going through Idaho and ended up scrapping the XJ and parting it out (probably worst purchase ever)

Also try tightening/cleaning the bolts/surface that secure the dashboard at the lower corners. I had the same problem after removing my dash (I left the bolts loose). After tightening the bolts (after two days of trobleshooting) the gauges came back.

thanks ill check these things out i rolled the jeep and the guages still worked and then i started taking stuff apart but then for no reason it stopped working ill check all the connections and let you know how that goes

i have the same problem with my 96. the fuse is good. it has power going to the panel itself. i think it might be a problem with the panel. do they go bad? in theory they shouldnt have any problems... right?

i havent had a chance to check all the other stuff they recommended on here so im not sure yet try the other sugguestions on here

Wish I would have known to check the fuse, blew a head gasket going through Idaho and ended up scrapping the XJ and parting it out (probably worst purchase ever)

That sucks you had to learn the hard way, but fuses are always the first thing I check. There the cheapest part on the whole rig might as well start there.

not yet i got busy with school and now its the end of the semester and it just snowed today so im gonna have to look at it next semester when i come back good thing its not my daily driver

Bumpity

I'm having the exact same problem with my '96. Fuse #17 keeps blowing, sometimes on start up, and sometimes after 15-20 minutes of driving.

Is the ground you are talking about the one that terminates on the passenger side of the block with the oil pressure sending unit ground? Going to have to tackle this tomorrow.

I did replace the VSS about 2 weeks ago when I swapped transfer cases, so not sure if this is related. From best I can tell from the FSM it splits off and goes to the PCM, so if this was causing a problem I'd be getting a check engine light, right? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back