NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 15th, 2020, 11:49
NAXJA Forum User

Modernizing the XJ

As a side note to this thread (hopefully I don't angry the op) a wj is close to a modernized xj. They have great street manners and a 4.0....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old December 15th, 2020, 11:59
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Modernizing the XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowXj View Post
As a side note to this thread (hopefully I don't angry the op) a wj is close to a modernized xj. They have great street manners and a 4.0....

And my understanding is that it is a much stiffer unibody, so no need to mess around with plating. There's quite a few good condition WJ out there now too for a good price, often lower than what people want for a good condition XJ.
Old December 15th, 2020, 14:22
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbraketorque View Post
And my understanding is that it is a much stiffer unibody, so no need to mess around with plating. There's quite a few good condition WJ out there now too for a good price, often lower than what people want for a good condition XJ.

Ain't that the truth. Around here you can get a decent WJ for the cost of a beat to hell XJ.
The target market for the WJ would generally be people with more financial means. So they were more likely to be garage kept, kept in a stock condition and professionally maintained, now those are all over the market years later.
Old December 15th, 2020, 19:01
NAXJA Member

Lot's of good input here.

The WJ - I almost bought one before buying my current XJ, but the one I want is the most highly desired one - 4.7 HO. Overland - but people are pretty aware of their value these days. I chose the XJ for many reasons, mostly because I know it so well, the aftermarket support, the looks, the huge community, everything about it is cheap. My 99 2 door 5 speed with long arms, gears, other doo-dads cost me less than 4k. I had to put some money into it to make it a safe driver, but a great bang for buck no doubt. I could drive it states away, wheel hard for a week, be able to fix 95% of issues that may pop up, and drive it home for less than 5k invested.

If I'm going to have a cheap jeep platform, it's going to be the XJ.

I've ridden in some well built Xjs and was very impressed at how they drove - so I know it's possible to make them ride great (relatively).

There's lots of reasons to invest in the XJ's creature comforts, but there's also strong argument for having a modern rig that you don't have to do anything to, be very comfortable, and go most places off-road I'm wanting to go.

1999 XJ & 1967 Jeepster Commando
Old December 15th, 2020, 22:49
NAXJA Forum User

My goal is a well rounded vehicle that can be easily driven on the street with the family while being more offroad capable than most modern 4x's, all hopefully while keeping the price reasonable. XJ seems like a good choice as long as true reliability can be attained.

I find my setup to be reasonable as a non-luxury DD with the key creature comforts and traits. I've figured out a nice cell phone stand that has wireless charging, integrates calls through the stereo, and the stereo will play music from the phone or via a USB memory stick. Cruise control works fine. Power windows and mirrors. AC blows cold. Headlights are updated. Keyless remote works. Interior noise levels are not particularly loud, but aren't particularly noisy either. I could easily reduce the noise with some sound deadening, but not sure I care enough to bother. Ride quality on the street is pretty reasonable. Power level on the road is sufficient for me (although I wish it had a bit more). Gas mileage sucks, but no fixing that, so just accept it. Handles sufficiently well on the road. I can't rail it like my sedans, but I don't expect that from a lifted 4x. Its more of a cruiser type ride on the street. Overall, I'd say it sort of just squeaks in as a family-acceptable rig. If it were any more noisy, if the ride were any worse, or if it was any further off the ground (my wife is short), I think it would fall out of family-worthy status, at least for my family.

If I ever decide I need a more civil/luxury 4x, I'll likely go with a WJ. There's pretty reasonable aftermarket support for it now, and in some ways its better than the XJ as a starting platform for a moderate offroad vehicle.
Old December 15th, 2020, 22:54
NAXJA Forum User

Modernizing the XJ

You missed out the benefits that come with building your own XJ: knowledge, experience & self-sufficiency etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 15th, 2020, 22:56
NAXJA Forum User

Modernizing the XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzXjay View Post
You missed out the key benefits that come with building your own XJ: simplicity, knowledge, experience & self-sufficiency etc

Old December 16th, 2020, 07:44
Stranger

Worth stating twice.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old December 16th, 2020, 09:55
NAXJA Member

I’m in the same boat. But maybe for different reasons. I have sort of gone too far with my XJ to even begin making it a comfortable family friendly long drive kind of rig. So I’d have to start with a clean slate on something over 20 years old with an unknown history and usually over 200k miles these days. And with a kid safety features become a factor. I love my XJ and have had it over 15 years but it’s not practical as I won’t be doing any hard trails it’s built for anymore and all of the creature comforts have been removed. Plus I don’t want someone’s project that will nickel and dime me to death. I am looking hard as JL rubicons. With a 2” lift and 37’s they’re pretty turn key ready for moderate trails and will be far more comfortable getting there. But yes, they aren’t cheap
Old December 16th, 2020, 15:04
NAXJA Forum User

well a Grande as I call them (WJ) is an option, they can be more modern, newer than a standard Cherokee Some folks wheel them, you can get aftermarket lifts, shocks, big tires, regear, etc..... Although I see a lot more Standard's wheeling verses Grande's wheeling. I suspect there is more aftermarket offroading modification support for the Standard (XJ) than the Grande (WJ) based on a my casual observation.

Also consider the higher trim levels within a model type to get more plush interior, and often more power options ( power windows, seats, locks, etc...)

My 1990 Standard (XJ) is a Laredo trim level, which is nice.... cloth seats, power windows and locks, chrome trim. The lower end 1990 year modlel trim levels lacked the power stuff, and may have vinyl seats for example.

A Grande might be the ticket for you. They are a bit larger than the old XJ, which can be useful to some.

what are the minuses in owning a WJ verses the XJ? do the WJs have specific problems? Any lemon year model's of a WJ to avoid?
I imagine the newest WJs will have a higher repair cost over the life of the vehicle do to the more disposable nature of car design these days, and the high repair cost of the high tech gadgets. A small bumper "tap" when parking can cost many thousands to repair thanks to bumper mounted cameras, radars, which "talk" to the computer for lane departure, auto braking systems, and such. These are not only expensive to buy, but also labor intensive to replace, and properly align and calibrate. I imagine the latest model cars have these things, earlier models WJ's lack these techie things. If you wheel even lightly, you dont want autobraking or lane departure systems.

and not only do you have a camera on the bumper or grill, you also get a camera lens washer sprayer, yet another sub system that you need to maintain, and eventually have to repair.

So consider the pros and cons of having a totally high teched out vehicle. Id go kind of medium tech at most, not loaded with cameras and auto pilot features so many cars have today
Old December 16th, 2020, 20:16
Stranger

This thread immediately came to mind this evening, as Varmint #1 fired up the '02 Suburban and I saw the warning light come on: "Service 4WD".

Yippee.

No 4wd to be had until I fix something.

Innerweb suggests it is a simple matter of replacing the switch module in the dash.

Any way you slice it the modern electronic doo-dads are nowhere near as reliable as a good old fashioned manual lever.

Old December 17th, 2020, 04:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
This thread immediately came to mind this evening, as Varmint #1 fired up the '02 Suburban and I saw the warning light come on: "Service 4WD".

Yippee.

No 4wd to be had until I fix something.

Innerweb suggests it is a simple matter of replacing the switch module in the dash.

Any way you slice it the modern electronic doo-dads are nowhere near as reliable as a good old fashioned manual lever.
This.... So true! Nothing more aggravating than the "newer reliable car" failing and having to get in the ole xj that just works. Bahahahaha

Old December 17th, 2020, 04:47
NAXJA Forum User

Modernizing the XJ

Not meaning that specifically towards you anak. No disrespect implied what's so ever.

Old December 17th, 2020, 07:22
Stranger

None even considered.

I am a big fan of simple, mechanical systems.

My '96 XJ and my '95 Cummins are the two most reliable vehicles I own.

The more features a vehicle has the more failure modes it has.

I don't begrudge anyone else their new vehicles with all their gadgetry. Just so long as no one expects me to own one too.

Old December 17th, 2020, 10:35
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
None even considered.

I am a big fan of simple, mechanical systems.

My '96 XJ and my '95 Cummins are the two most reliable vehicles I own.

The more features a vehicle has the more failure modes it has.

I don't begrudge anyone else their new vehicles with all their gadgetry. Just so long as no one expects me to own one too.
my most reliable is my 61 Bug, easy to push starts, no fancy dancy electronics, sure I installed a pertronix electric ignition, but I keep a set of points in the glove box just incase. It is luxuriously updated to a 12 volt electric system however, and I modernized the safety systems with lap seat belts front and rear and a high mount brake light! It also sports sheep skin front seat covers (getting a little ragged now, I put the covers on probably 35 years ago.) It also has an AM FM cassette stereo, but only one speaker as stock It now sports a massive 1600 motor from a 73 Bug verses the stock 1200 motor, 40 HP verses about 55HP, thats over a 25 % increase, and with the final drive ratio of the early Bugs, combined with the later power house motor, she is quick off the line for a Bug!

Now my 66 Bug is bone stock, still 6 volts, still points ignition. It had front seat belts standard, but no rear belts, and only has an AM radio. 1300 cc and maybe 44 HP, she is more sedate, not a power house by anymeans she has a sunroof, hand cranked of course.

Old cars Rule!
I used to wheel the 61 Bug 40 years ago, took me to many a remote trail head for backpacking I pull up in that Bug after crossing a creek, and blundering over rocks to find nothing but 4x4 trucks and jeeps at the trail head, Amazing reliable vehicles them old Bug are. never let me down That Bug was also the family car.