• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Manifold Gasket Question

Highmiles

NAXJA Forum User
i'm installing a new header to replace my cracked exhaust manifold. I've read every post on the procedure and reviewed Go-Jeep's site. Folks here seem to all use high-temp, copper RTV on the gasket, but when I asked a mechanic friend he stated all gaskets must be installed clean and dry - absolutely no RTV.

For the guys who have done this install, what's your opinion? RTV or dry gasket?

thanks!

When I changed my exh manifold, I got a feltpro gasket (with the metal sealing rings) so I put it on dry. I started getting a weird whistle when I backed off the gas. It only happened between slightly warm and full temp (then stopped). I suspected a leak in the intake manifold. After a few weeks I couldn't take it anymore and I was heading into a smog test, so I got a OEM gasket from the dealer, and used a bit of rtv on the exh/int gasket, the tb gasket and egr gasket. No more whistle.

If you use too much it will squeeze out on the inside. At best, it will disrupt the airflow. Some might eventually break off and get sucked inside. So if you use it, use it sparingly.

Back