NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 8th, 2019, 11:12
NAXJA Forum User

Replace motor mounts

I recently picked up an XJ with a 3.5" lift and a tcase drop. There are some vibes that I am fixing... I got the re1811 sye to install, this will help with ds angles (front yoke on tcase for front ds is leaning up, and cant get a good pinion angle with the caster forward enough)

My motor mounts look pretty shot, definitely leaned back. They also make a creaking sound when starting to move. I think this is from years of driving with a tcase drop.

When shopping for new motor mounts, I find some as cheap as $10 per, and some as much as $120 for a set.... anyone have any recommendations for good motor mounts to use? 2000 xj, 4.0 i6, np231. I use this rig as a dd as well as off roading around tahoe (not taking this rig down fordyce, but I do like to get out and camp in that region). Preferably rubber mounts that absorb some engine vibes instead of polyurethane.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old July 8th, 2019, 12:07
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Replace motor mounts

I would do stock rubber mounts, I have 2 2000's one with a stroker that I tried Browndog rubber's in but only for a hour. I immediately removed them and put my old mounts back. Be aware that the RE sye may not work well if you remove the t-case drop.
Old July 8th, 2019, 12:12
NAXJA Forum User

Sorry, I was thinking of their H-n-T kit, you won't have any issues.
Old July 8th, 2019, 13:14
NAXJA Forum User

Replace motor mounts

Thanks for your input. Stock it is.

I am looking forward to having this running perfect. The sye and motor mounts are coming, recently put in adjustable lca, and changed uca bushings, as well as new timken hub assemblies. PO had recently put in new moog ball joints, didnt fix his wobble due to loose track bar and not enough caster.

I am also hoping to have time to install a new head while I am waiting on a ds from Adam's. Have a Clearwater sitting here for past 2 weeks. Gonna be minty.

Old July 8th, 2019, 14:37
NAXJA Member

Well, I run Brown Dog mounts with rubber and absolutely love them! To each their own I guess, but I would never go back to stock mounts. Also much less of a worry about breaking bolts in the block!
Old July 8th, 2019, 14:39
NAXJA Forum Addict

Stinky fab
01 XJ Sport 2 door 5spd/4WD- 4" lift, Rubi wheels/tires JCR bumpers/sliders, armor, Rubi 44, Ford 8.8, 4.56's, ARBs.
Old July 8th, 2019, 15:06
NAXJA Forum User

Beware of really cheapo "stock" mounts. some may be red chinese junk, and a failure can launch your engine and its cooling fan into the radiator! Ouch! Get a quality name brand if you go stock style. I tried a cheapo AutoZone mount, and it sagged so much the transfer case was dragging on the skid plate within 1000 miles, total junk, and it was red chinese made. My 15 year old stock one was better than that new chicom garbage. For me I settled for the Stinky Fab urethane rear mount, and stock quality front mounts. I think this is good as I get less vibration using the stock rubber up front, but still have the stability of the urethane on the rear mount, a bit of compromise, and no more sagging and a rubbing transfer case.

Keep a Jeeping!
Old July 8th, 2019, 17:36
NAXJA Forum User

Replace motor mounts

We're currently have ironman4x4fab motor mounts. So far, so good.

May want to check them out..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old July 8th, 2019, 18:00
NAXJA Member

Dont go bottom of the barrel. I ran anchors for a bit and after 6 months and 8000 miles the driver's side was already ripping and coming apart.

OEM are great but run about 140 a set. They last quite a long time and are smooth and quiet.

I went with Rusty's which most people seem to despise but they're beefy and use a control arm bushing which is super easy to find a replacement for. They did transfer a lot of vibration but after about a month loosened up and smoothed out a bit. I still get some idle vibration but not bad.
Old July 14th, 2019, 10:44
NAXJA Forum User

Replace motor mounts

Just an update. After 2 days of research and pricing. I decided to get the nicer napa mounts, drivetech I believe. There were ~$50 for a set. Only one way to really find out how long they last.

They have been installed for 2 days now, and the ride is so much smoother than before. It might be that I installed a sye at the same time, but my ride is smoother and quieter. I dont feel very much motor vibration at idle, nothing near a polyeurathane mount.