• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Complete front end rehabilitation...

Electrichorseman

NAXJA Forum User
Complete front end rehabilitation...

1988 Limited, 4WD, 6 cyl, Automatic, 180,000 miles.

This all started when I went to the shop for a front end alignment. I was told that almost connecting point in the front end needed replacement. I verified that all of the tie rods and ball joints were toast. Based on the year and mileage the only justifiable thing was to make the repairs myself and put what I would have spent on labor toward the new parts. Needless to say I'm finding out that many parts are seized far beyond separation. The spindles refuse to part from the hubs. So I'm going for new CV axels. Any input on what type I should get? I see that Advanced Auto Parts offers GSP axels and hubs. Link to the manufacturers web-site... http://us.gsp.cn/main/

Any input on this?

Ken C.

You are wanting to put in CV axles? I wouldn't, weaker--a definite downgrade.

Search, many use the PS pump to pop things loose. Have you soaked things with PB Blaster?

You are wanting to put in CV axles? I wouldn't, weaker--a definite downgrade.

Search, many use the PS pump to pop things loose. Have you soaked things with PB Blaster?

The axle/ hub separation is waaaayyy beyond PB blaster. I heated the hub for a while with my oxy acetylene torch. NG!

I tried looking for an OEM style spline yoke but I can't find one. Any suggestions?

20 ton press? I had to use this on my Beretta to get the hub & bearing assy out of the spindle and it let out a *(&@ of a bang when it let go. I used anti-seize when I installed the new hub & bearing so I'll never have to do it again.

Ok, got it now. A BIG press is your next step, and as already posted use plenty of anti-seize on reassembly.

Back