• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Hack-n-Tap

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a RE6030 3.5 inch lift for my 2001 Cherokee and have it installed. The problem is that the Jeep is still in the garage and still up on the lift. The reason it is still up there is because of the Hack-n-Tap. What do you guys use to drill that shaft? dynamite?!?!?!? After about 15 minutes of drilling, it was hard to tell if the drill bits did anything. We used the bit that RE sends with their kit and every bit in his garage that was the same size. I got tired of messing with it so I boxed it up, sent it back and ordered the Advanced Adapters SYE kit and the Tom Woods drive shaft. What have you guys been using to drill that shaft? Not that it really matters now, since I got the other kit on the way, I'm just wondering.

Did you cut your shaft?? The outside of the shaft is case hardened. You were supposed to cut the shaft first so there was an 1 1/4 of splines left then drill the end. My drill cut into it just fine, the rest of the install went perfect (amazingly enough) and it works like a charm.

I used the drill that came with the kit with no problem. I doubt all the bits in the garage had bad lead grinds on them. How did you cut down the shaft? Did you use an abrasive cut off wheel, mounts to a circular saw? If not did you have problems cutting the shaft? You may have work hardened the shaft if cutting through it was a problem. I would try using a small carbide end mill to get a cut started, being careful to keep it centered. If there is work hardened material there the carbide tool is the best way to go , then try drilling. I didn't have any problems with my hack and tap, sorry to hear about your problem.

Frank Z said:
Low speed and high pressure on the drill. A little bit of cutting oil helps too.

Ditto. And plan on more than 15 minutes if you're slow and keep checking it like I did. I think I made the job last 30 minutes.

I'm not sure if they cut the shaft first or not, I wasn't there when they did the drilling. I think it is safer and better to go with the other SYE kit anyway.

I disagree with the other kit being safer or better. I used a Cobalt bit and cutting oil and the same method Frank Z suggested and it was cake. Even with tapping the hole, I was done with the install in 35 minutes.

I shouldn't say better...obviously the HD kit is better but for my purposes, the H/T was perfect.

Ya, The only problems I had drilling my shaft was the bit I first used was dull and for wood. After getting a metal bit it cut through like butta.

As for actually cutting it, Thank you air compressor for breaking down and having your max psi go no higher than 60psi. 5 damn hours of cutting, not the happiest person after that.

Talking with Jess at High Angle Driveline, he hates the hack n tap. Had nothing but bad to say about them. He said he's replaced half a dozen of them with full h/d kits, then I asked how many of them have been replaced due to shitty installs?? His response?? "Well....all of them"

There a well designed, CHEAP, sye, BUT if you are at all scared of screwing something up then look elsewhere.

If the cuts in the wrong spot, the drilled hole is angled or not centered, or the taping is screwed up then you just ruined your tail shaft and will need to install a h/d sye.

If your doing a HnT in a 242 you better be damn careful, tom woods has a core charge of $400 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only had minor hangup's with my insatll. I followed the writeup the DPG Offroad has. I used a 4" angle grinder with a thin cut-off wheel. It was like butta, no problems at all. I chalked the tires and put it in Reverse while cutting the shaft. It was a really clean, smooth and straight cut. I used an triangle file on the splines to make sure they were clean and didn't have any boogers on them. While drilling a piliot hole, I broke a 1/16" bit off inside the shaft. Luckly it came out without much of a problem. I then went to a bigger size, don't remember what I used here. I then used the bit supplied with the kit.
Went pretty smooth really. I would have went the HD route however, with the 242 I have limited options.

I will get my Cjerokee back on Wed. When I go to pick it up I'll ask if he tryed to drill before he cut or if he cut first. I'll let you guys know as soon as I know.

Back