• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who wants to hold an XJ for me?

gearwhine

NAXJA Forum User
My friend has a friend of a friend of a friend :), haha, that has a running 85 xj, auto, not sure of engine, for 300 bucks. He is looking to just get it out. He is driving there tonight to take some digital pics for me. We have so much going on at my house and don't really have room...let alone my parents letting me have it in our yard. I am not sure if I am going to keep it together or part it out yet. It could be good for many uses. We can do another NAC project vehicle as well.

Well, I'm not sure of anyhting yet, but would anyone offer to store it somewhere for me for a little while? I don't really expect anyone to just do this for me, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. If I do indeed end up parting it out, you can take pretty much what you want. Thanks. _nicko_

If you can get it to PA., you can store it at my place. I have a secure place to store it until you decide want you are going to do with it. Let me know, Bob

Oh man, I really didn't think I'd get responses like this. You guys are too nice. Thanks so much. Hopefully the guy doesn't get rid of it before I have a chance to get there. Thanks again. I'll let you guys know. PA is not a problem to get to. _nicko_

I can help you haul it if needed... Jeep Hut delivers!

Thanks for the offers guys...but I decided not to deal with another vehicle weather I'm parting it out, cutting it up, or keeping it. And my friend never checked the car out for me and took pics....so I don't even know what kind of condition it's in....if anyone else wants to check it out I can get info for you....he wanted between 100-200 for it I think...could be good to work with on the project XJ, part out..whatever. Thanks again. _nicko_

In looking for parts or project XJs, it's wise to keep in mind that there really isn't a lot you can use from an '84 thru '86 on the newer ones. The front clip is different, so not useful to repair a damaged 87+. Transfer cases are not the same as used in the '87+ models. 4-cyl transmissions are the same as later years, but the V-6 used the same trannies as the 4-bangers. Even the wiring harness is different -- I don't think you can even plug an "86 or older radio into an '87+.

So unless the body is exceptionally good and you need doors, fenders and glass -- skip it.

Andy in Pa. said:
Yes, but sometimes those 4 Cyl.s have axles in them with 4.10 gears....somewhat desireable if your looking for that ratio.

A.

Very true. However, since many XJers are now outgrowing Dana 35 rear axles and really needing Dana 44s and Ford 8.8s, that leaves you taking on an entire vehicle to salvage a front axle -- and maybe a couple of doors or pieces of miscellaneous plastic trim. Chris will attest to the nuisance factor of stripping an XJ in your yard at home -- and then trying to find someone to haul away the carcass. And the one at his place was an '88 4.0L, so it had a lot more desireable stuff on it. I can't imagine going through that effort for a pre-87.

Ahah! Finally tripped you up on something! It was an '89, not an '88! :D I know, since I bought it and then slickly dumped it in Chris' driveway for salvage.

Of course, now we get to do it all over again, with the next '89 salvage I bought to be stripped next to my garage this time.

;) <sigh> It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta take care of the good pieces for all these homeless XJ's out there.

Hey, I hear there is this nut job up North somewhere who has 8 or 9 strewn around his yard. Never does anything with them, of course. But loves to collect hulks and pieces. Maybe we should look into that bunch as well! :)

Mike in NJ

It's true! Jeep heaven does exist! I've seen it with my own eyes!

Bob 94 XJ said:
I have seen it also!! It is breathtaking to see it in person.

"Breathtaking." Yes, I'm sure that's exactly the way the neighbors and their real estate agents view it, too :angel:

Does anyone need an '84 Wagoneer 4-cyl for a daily driver?

Eagle said:
Very true. However, since many XJers are now outgrowing Dana 35 rear axles and really needing Dana 44s and Ford 8.8s, that leaves you taking on an entire vehicle to salvage a front axle -- and maybe a couple of doors or pieces of miscellaneous plastic trim. Chris will attest to the nuisance factor of stripping an XJ in your yard at home -- and then trying to find someone to haul away the carcass. And the one at his place was an '88 4.0L, so it had a lot more desireable stuff on it. I can't imagine going through that effort for a pre-87.

If you use a sawzall, you can sneak the carcass out a piece at a time. :rolleyes:

Back