• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fins & things, moab

Steve

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning a trip to Mexico, and among other things along the way, will be Moab, Utah. We would like to camp here a night. My XJ is stock, and needs to make it to Mexico. With this in mind, does anyone see a problem with running the fins & things trail ( I'm told its the least difficult), and camping at one of the sites along this trail. I've never been here but have heard alot about it. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

This should be in the Off Topic catagory, you might get more response.

Now to your question. My opinion is that at least the first part of fins and things is a pretty non-distructive trail if you use your head. That is not to say that for a virgin to slick rock, it has a certain pucker factor. It should be doable in a stocker. There are tons of neat trails around Moab.

You may have a problem in a few places with entry and exit angles on your bumpers but I've never really looked at the trail from driving it in a stocker before. One thing to bear in mind is that there are not many (very few) loose rocks on Fins & Things to use for stacking.

I also didn't look at it from a stock viewpoint. But I did I consult my Wells guide and he calls it difficult which is rated for the most difficult obstacle on the trail.

Quote "Stock vehicles should have good articulation, high ground clearance and adequate front and rear approach angles."

Personally, I would try it. The worst case scenario on Fins & Things is you might screw up your bumpers and/or drag your rear receiver hitch. Bumpers are cheap and the hitch is virtually indestructible.

The Charles Wells Moab Backroads book is a good reference. You can find it at Amazon. Another resource is getting the EJS newspaper from the Red Rock 4 Wheelers in Moab. They'll mail it to you just for the asking.

Steve, I ran Finns & Things a couple times while my XJ was stock. It is very do-able, just air down and watch your approach/departure angles on the steep climbs. The trail is split by the main access road, with half being on the south side of it and the other half on the north side. Starting point is on the south side of the road and if I remember correctly there may be one fairly ledgy climb you'll want to bypass. Other than that you should be fine. As far as camping, there isn't any along the trail itself, but there are several campsites NEAR the trailhead (within a mile or so of it) that should suit you fine. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Brad

Last edited:
I love Finns and Things.. such a fun short scenic little trail! Do it! I would say I would go with you, but I am not close!

Fins and Things is a super fun trail to mess around on, especially if you are camping at the Sand Flats area because you can run different parts of it within' minutes of your campsite if you get bored. There is a small entrance fee to use the Sand Flats Recreation area, but it is my favorite place to camp down there. Drive down a ways to the "G" campsites if you plan to camp there, they are the best. Also keep in mind that if you are going through there during Jeep Safari (March 31st - April 7th) finding a camping spot will be nearly impossible just about anywhere in town. Here's a quick write-up on the trail from last years Jeep Safari: http://www.rr4w.com/mag/44.pdf

Enjoy!

Morty'sXJ said:
Steve, I ran Finns & Things a couple times while my XJ was stock. It is very do-able, just air down and watch your approach/departure angles on the steep climbs. The trail is split by the main access road, with half being on the south side of it and the other half on the north side. Starting point is on the south side of the road and if I remember correctly there may be one fairly ledgy climb you'll want to bypass. Other than that you should be fine. As far as camping, there isn't any along the trail itself, but there are several campsites NEAR the trailhead (within a mile or so of it) that should suit you fine. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Brad

You must camp in designated spots, but there are actually several campsite areas that Fins and Things runs right through.

I was gonna try it last year with a trailer in tow, but everyone else bailed out on me. :( I say go for it.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll be there in late May, so hopefully we'll be able to find a campsite without too much trouble. I told my wife the fender flares were looking a little old anyway, so she wont mind a few scratches on those. I think she just secretly cant wait to run some trails in this area.

I ran fins n things in a stock XJ with the front swaybar disconnected. I would say it was a good challenge running stock. Had to try very hard not to scrape bumpers on the steep hills. I say do it, but be prepared for the possibility of some scratches on your bumper caps. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it!

Back