• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emergency shelter/heating

sdigs

NAXJA Forum User
I recently had an unplanned overnight adventure. We got stuck out with too much snow to go back up a mountain in the dark and too much river to cross at the bottom. 30 degree night time temps with the wives and kids along for the ride. We were well prepared and had basic survival supplies with us and were never really in danger. We actually ended up overnighting in an old forest service cabin that had a wood stove. But the experience got me to thinking. Other than running the motor for heat, which burns up gas that may be needed later and runs the risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning does anyone have a method for heating their vehicle in emergency situations? I did a quick online search and found a lot of 12 volt heaters but again that requires the motor to be running. I was thinking along the lines of propane catalytic heaters or even some type of wood stove that could be vented out a window. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Since your talking about catalytic heaters...

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5053A751&categoryid=3000

For example.

Or a hunting camp trick

untitled-3.jpg

May be more hazardous than CO2, however...

Last edited:
Small propane tanks and a portable heater do well, but not for enclosed areas such as Jeeps, cabins, or tents. You must always remember... CO2 Kills!! You should have emergency blankets and maybe learn some survival skills such as building a temporary shelter. The jeep seems like a good one, but a well built temporary shelter might be a better place to be overnight.

Read this Field and Stream article (the part about the toilet paper heater) if you really want a cheap portable heater:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/outdoorskills/article/0,13199,886247-3,00.html

hey that TP heater is cool.

Wood stoves are used to heat tents, so it could work in the jeep if you think it's worth that trouble. Either cut a hole in the roof for the chimney or build a baffel to exhaust out the window.

Insulation is probably your best bet especially with the whole family to provide heat. Sleaping bags, blankets, and even heavy curtins over the windows would keep the jeep warm even when it's pretty cold out. But the XJ is pretty small so it may be more comfortable to pitch a tent.

When I was x-country skiing in Wyoming a few years back there was a blizzard and three guys in the tent playing cards with a candle lit for light and it was 80 degrees inside. Had to sit ontop of the sleeping bags it was so warm.

Thirty years of backpacking the rockies, 20 years of elk hunting and 5 years in the army have taught me how to deal with cold weather. I have all the sleeping bags, tents and camp stoves i need. I have used a candle lantern before, but i find that they are easily broken when bouncing down a trail. The TP heater is pretty cool and i will probably add that to me emergency kit. I just wanted to know of any ideas for heating a vehicle. sometimes the tent may not be handy and lean too shelters take time to build. I was looking for a way to keep the kids warm while i deal with the shelter issue. has anyone tried one of the coleman tent heaters. I have seen them in stores. The heater stays outside the tent and a flex duct carries the heated air into the tent. I thought that might be enough to heat the XJ without the CO/CO2 risk.

I do alot of cold weather xj camping....I have the back of my xj setup so it sleeps pretty well except.....This past winter It was in the teens and we were in the middle of blizzard like conditions.
Ended up getting stuck out on the trail and spent the night in the jeep.It was a long night because I wasn't as prepared for these conditions as I thought.I had a sleeping bag but still got cold in the wee hours of dawn.

What I will be doing is getting one of those coleman propane heaters that has the battery powered fan to force the heat and plan on picking up one of those battery powered co2 monitors just incase and keep the windows cracked a little.
Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Battery...f=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1214363836&sr=8-1
A buddy of mine uses one of those propane heaters in his work truck sometimes and keeps the windows cracked....he's still alive..lol
I like that tp heater though......

Last edited:
JeepFreak21 said:
I have spent the night in a car where it was below zero a couple of times without fancy heaters and such. But I also knew I was going to be spending the night. I had a basic sleeping bag, sweats and a sweatshirt on, and I was sweating.

With that being said, use your brain! If your with your wife, and especially kids, plan ahead! Check the weather, and be prepared for the worst.

I always have a emergency blanket in my Jeep, if not a couple. If you are offroading, bring a sleeping bag, a warm jacket and other cold weather cloths. Have matches, a lighter, or some other kind of ignition source to build a fire if you really have to.

Basically just be smart. We as humans have survived for a awhile now in the cold, and most of those years wernt with fancy heaters and the like.

sdigs said:
I recently had an unplanned overnight adventure. We got stuck out with too much snow to go back up a mountain in the dark and too much river to cross at the bottom. 30 degree night time temps with the wives and kids along for the ride. We were well prepared and had basic survival supplies with us and were never really in danger. We actually ended up overnighting in an old forest service cabin that had a wood stove. But the experience got me to thinking. Other than running the motor for heat, which burns up gas that may be needed later and runs the risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning does anyone have a method for heating their vehicle in emergency situations? I did a quick online search and found a lot of 12 volt heaters but again that requires the motor to be running. I was thinking along the lines of propane catalytic heaters or even some type of wood stove that could be vented out a window. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It sounds like you are asking what to use "outside" of the Jeep. Definately a four season tent just big enough for the fam (not real big but just comfy). Bring sleeping bags that zip together. Its easy to stay warm when sharing heat. Bring sleeping pads so you dont lose as much heat through the bottom (and it will be a more comfy night). Bring a couple heavy wool blankets (military ones work well) that you can erect in the tent using ropes and/or poles, to close off the top vents and insulate the sides(my wife and I used duct tape and cardboard to insulate and close off the top vents one time while tenting in windy 10* weather, it made a huge difference). Have a couple candles handy, they do wonders in an insulated tent with four people. Extra clothes work good for pillows and insulation in the bottom of the bag. Some high carb food and lots of water (sleep with it). Bring flashlights and cards so when everyone wakes in the early morning (coldest time) youve got something to do besides lay there and shiver.

sdigs said:
...has anyone tried one of the coleman tent heaters. I have seen them in stores. The heater stays outside the tent and a flex duct carries the heated air into the tent. I thought that might be enough to heat the XJ without the CO/CO2 risk.

That one is on my X-mas list. You're right, there is no CO/CO2 risk. My brother used one before and said it worked fine for a tent.

I don't like the cat tent heaters though..

E

Rev Den said:
...a single candle unit warms the cab just fine, enough to survive a night or two if needed.

Rev
X2
Remember to crack a window, though.

I'd look into a tent heater. You could even fab up a window attachment that is held in place by rolling up the window. Make it out of metal, wood, foam, whatever.

Another option is a long burning candle inside a coffee can. They made emergency candles that do this, and burn clean. You can buy them at any camping place, or even walmart. You can also purchase the entire can/candle package.

Back