NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 9th, 2018, 08:41
NAXJA Member

Re: Quality headlight harness upgrade ?

put a putco on mine. replaced housings and put H4 80/100 bulbs in. low beams don't work, could be a relay that got soaked or something. haven't dug into it yet.

thinking about just putting a LED bar up front instead of messing with headlight high/low.
Old March 9th, 2018, 12:30
Degenerate Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
put a putco on mine. replaced housings and put H4 80/100 bulbs in. low beams don't work, could be a relay that got soaked or something. haven't dug into it yet.
Did your rig come with factory fog lights? If so, try pulling the fog light relay from the PDC and see if it resolves the issue.
Old March 9th, 2018, 18:40
NAXJA Member 4950

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post

thinking about just putting a LED bar up front instead of messing with headlight high/low.
Might be the headlight switch also.
I had the same thing happen and it turned out to be the switch
Old March 10th, 2018, 10:12
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
I am using the harness that Chrysler put in my Jeep as well as the OE sealed beam headlights. They always turn on and I can see at night. .!.. ..!.
I never looked into the newer wiring diagrams, do the post '96 XJs run the headlight power through the switch like the older XJs?

In the past 12 years I have owned this XJ, I never had to replace a headlight. I think the voltage drop between the battery and the headlight is a factor in that longevity.
Old March 10th, 2018, 14:18
NAXJA Forum User

There's a lot of decent looking ones on Amazon. When I do mine I plan on using a relay box with a cover. I've also been contemplating using a harness for 4 headlights. I'll run 2 relays from each side of the factory harness. One set will operate the headlights and the other set I will wire just the power for the high beams through the relays then to a set of driving lights. I'm assuming this should work fine. Anyone tried this or think it won't work?
Old March 10th, 2018, 14:27
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
Did your rig come with factory fog lights? If so, try pulling the fog light relay from the PDC and see if it resolves the issue.
no fogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green XJ Jeep View Post
Might be the headlight switch also.
I had the same thing happen and it turned out to be the switch
really? that's the last place I would've checked.
Old March 10th, 2018, 14:29
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynerd View Post
There's a lot of decent looking ones on Amazon. When I do mine I plan on using a relay box with a cover. I've also been contemplating using a harness for 4 headlights. I'll run 2 relays from each side of the factory harness. One set will operate the headlights and the other set I will wire just the power for the high beams through the relays then to a set of driving lights. I'm assuming this should work fine. Anyone tried this or think it won't work?
that's a cool idea. should work just fine