NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > Land Use / Off Topic and other Forums > Non-Tech / Off Topic
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Non-Tech / Off Topic The popular Non-Tech Forum. NO SPAM at all. Period.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 7th, 2018, 18:16
jonzer12 jonzer12 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 391
1 ton regrets

Anyone regret going 1 tons? I was going to make the move a couple years ago but ended up selling the axles before I swapped them in. Now I kind of the bug to hop on the 1 tons and 40's bandwagon all over again.

I have your typical XJ on 35's with highly polished 30/8.8 combo. For trail riding it performs well and is reliable. I drive it a good 30-60 minutes to go wheeling and I drive it to work a couple times a month to keep things lubed up. I like the option to throw a boat on the roof and wheel into lakes most guys won't go. The cops leave me alone for the most part.

I would like the option to wheel with some old friends who moved on to buggies. I already have a strongbox and a built D300 and psc steering so I just need to add the axles and tires.

Anyone made the jump and regretted it? No longer streetable, draws cop attention or 4.0 even more of a dog? Trail riding not as much fun? I tend to wheel a fair amount of tight wooded trails.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 7th, 2018, 18:58
sidewaysstarion's Avatar
sidewaysstarion sidewaysstarion is offline
Coffee Drinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 2,688
Re: 1 ton regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer12 View Post
Anyone regret going 1 tons? I was going to make the move a couple years ago but ended up selling the axles before I swapped them in. Now I kind of the bug to hop on the 1 tons and 40's bandwagon all over again.

I have your typical XJ on 35's with highly polished 30/8.8 combo. For trail riding it performs well and is reliable. I drive it a good 30-60 minutes to go wheeling and I drive it to work a couple times a month to keep things lubed up. I like the option to throw a boat on the roof and wheel into lakes most guys won't go. The cops leave me alone for the most part.

I would like the option to wheel with some old friends who moved on to buggies. I already have a strongbox and a built D300 and psc steering so I just need to add the axles and tires.

Anyone made the jump and regretted it? No longer streetable, draws cop attention or 4.0 even more of a dog? Trail riding not as much fun? I tend to wheel a fair amount of tight wooded trails.
My jeep drives great with 1 ton-ish axles, but the stock 4.0 is really having a hard time pushing the big tires around. I'm running 5.13 gears with a stock 4.0/aw4/231. It works, but not very well. The plan is to install the LS1/4l60e/4sp atlas that I have.

The biggest thing that is going to effect your drive-ability is how you set it up, if you go full hydro with no sway bars and soft suspension you're going to hate it on the street.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker
I seem to have run out of self tapping washers
99 4.0/AW4/231, with a few basic bolt ons.

Click here to support
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 8th, 2018, 04:48
Lowrange2's Avatar
Lowrange2 Lowrange2 is offline
Member# 2368
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Abbeville, SC
Posts: 15,997
Re: 1 ton regrets

In my opinion, XJ's aren't cut out for tons. Sure, it's been done many times and done well but the shear amount of extra work that has to go into an XJ unibody to make it hold up isn't worth the effort when you could buy a cheap YJ or TJ to build with little effort.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 8th, 2018, 07:30
JohnX's Avatar
JohnX JohnX is offline
Sarge <3 Ben
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Rancho Cucamonga CA
Posts: 9,370
Re: 1 ton regrets

My MJ on 40s is not much fun on the street...yes, it can do it. If you have any plans to drive it regularly, then don't go to tons. My MJ sees about 300 miles a year now. Might as well be a buggy.
__________________
Praise Marty Moose!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 8th, 2018, 10:21
ehall's Avatar
ehall ehall is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 9,050
Re: 1 ton regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrange2 View Post
In my opinion, XJ's aren't cut out for tons. Sure, it's been done many times and done well but the shear amount of extra work that has to go into an XJ unibody to make it hold up isn't worth the effort when you could buy a cheap YJ or TJ to build with little effort.
Agree completely

By the time you make all the mods that are necessary its no longer an XJ and you would have been way further along if you had started with a wrangler tub and frame or a buggy project
__________________
.
my '91 beater rebuild
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 8th, 2018, 16:52
Empty_Pockets's Avatar
Empty_Pockets Empty_Pockets is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NEPA
Posts: 306
Re: 1 ton regrets

I completely regreted my d44 and 9in so I would probably regret one tons as well. Got like 6mpg and was completely useless if I needed to drive it to work if my truck or wife's car broke. I sold it and now have a completely stock xj. Will get 3.5in lift on 31's if I ever do anything with it. Not to mention repairs are significantly more expensive and going to the auto parts store and ordering a part was out of the question it was always custom orders.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 8th, 2018, 17:16
techno1154's Avatar
techno1154 techno1154 is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: In the islands
Posts: 2,291
Re: 1 ton regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Pockets View Post
I completely regreted my d44 and 9in so I would probably regret one tons as well. Got like 6mpg and was completely useless if I needed to drive it to work if my truck or wife's car broke. I sold it and now have a completely stock xj. Will get 3.5in lift on 31's if I ever do anything with it. Not to mention repairs are significantly more expensive and going to the auto parts store and ordering a part was out of the question it was always custom orders.
What gears and tire size was on that XJ? That mileage was pretty low.
__________________
Patrick

#594
1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 8th, 2018, 17:49
sidewaysstarion's Avatar
sidewaysstarion sidewaysstarion is offline
Coffee Drinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 2,688
Re: 1 ton regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno1154 View Post
What gears and tire size was on that XJ? That mileage was pretty low.
No kidding, I get ~10 mpg on 37s and 5.13 and I have no issue daily driving mine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker
I seem to have run out of self tapping washers
99 4.0/AW4/231, with a few basic bolt ons.

Click here to support
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 9th, 2018, 03:16
Empty_Pockets's Avatar
Empty_Pockets Empty_Pockets is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NEPA
Posts: 306
Re: 1 ton regrets

4:88 gears, 35's on steel beadlocks, but you gotta take the axle shafts into consideration as they were 35 spline 32mm Moser shafts and a bigger main shaft in the np231. All of that extra mass in the drivetrain sucks fuel mileage up too.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 9th, 2018, 04:22
sidewaysstarion's Avatar
sidewaysstarion sidewaysstarion is offline
Coffee Drinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 2,688
Re: 1 ton regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Pockets View Post
4:88 gears, 35's on steel beadlocks, but you gotta take the axle shafts into consideration as they were 35 spline 32mm Moser shafts and a bigger main shaft in the np231. All of that extra mass in the drivetrain sucks fuel mileage up too.
I'm running a front 609 with 35 spline shafts, but with locking hubs and a 14 bolt in the rear. I'm pretty sure the carrier and shafts on the 14b are heavier than the 35 spline shafts in your 9". Not to mention the 37" tires and beadlock vs the 35's you're running. I have a feeling thier might be something up with your Jeep, maybe it's time for a new O2 sensor?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker
I seem to have run out of self tapping washers
99 4.0/AW4/231, with a few basic bolt ons.

Click here to support
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old November 9th, 2018, 05:06
Lowrange2's Avatar
Lowrange2 Lowrange2 is offline
Member# 2368
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Abbeville, SC
Posts: 15,997
Re: 1 ton regrets

There's shouldn't be any drive-ability issues if it's built right, it's just so much more weight that likes to rip the sheet metal body apart.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 9th, 2018, 06:29
Empty_Pockets's Avatar
Empty_Pockets Empty_Pockets is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NEPA
Posts: 306
Re: 1 ton regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysstarion View Post
I'm running a front 609 with 35 spline shafts, but with locking hubs and a 14 bolt in the rear. I'm pretty sure the carrier and shafts on the 14b are heavier than the 35 spline shafts in your 9". Not to mention the 37" tires and beadlock vs the 35's you're running. I have a feeling thier might be something up with your Jeep, maybe it's time for a new O2 sensor?
There were other factors that went into it, all my friends sold their rigs, every Wheeling spot we used to go to got shut down. So those things and my needs for the vehicle changing we're reasons that I wanted to go back to a d30/8.25 or d30/8.8 combo. Not to mention the cost of repairs going up due to the modifications. I simply didn't drive it enough to put the time into troubleshooting the issue, the gears may also have not been enough to get it moving. It turned into a garage orniment and I really only wheeled it a handful of times. My current xj will just be a hunting/camping rig that can be used as a secondary vehicle if need be. I think you need to look really hard at how much the swap is going to affect how you currently use the jeep.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old November 9th, 2018, 08:52
jonzer12 jonzer12 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 391
Re: 1 ton regrets

I think my biggest fear is that by the time I add tons and tires and I will really start to hate the 4.0. A new jeep is not in the cards and I already have plated the frame etc and I have a bender so I have no chassis concerns.
The 4.0 is already a dog and I struggle on some muddy hill climbs. I guess
I am just wondering if any 1 ton XJ guys miss their 1/4 ton setup and why.
Maybe its just a case of learning to put the wrenches down and just go wheeling. I seem to average 10 nights in the garage for every day on the trail...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old November 9th, 2018, 08:52
jonzer12 jonzer12 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 391
Re: 1 ton regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer12 View Post
I think my biggest fear is that by the time I add tons and tires and I will really start to hate the 4.0. A new jeep is not in the cards and I already have plated the frame etc and I have a bender so I have no chassis concerns.
The 4.0 is already a dog and I struggle on some muddy hill climbs. I guess
I am just wondering if any 1 ton XJ guys miss their 1/4 ton setup and why.
Maybe its just a case of learning to put the wrenches down and just go wheeling. I seem to average 10 nights in the garage for every day on the trail... can't leave well enough alone.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old November 9th, 2018, 09:18
Empty_Pockets's Avatar
Empty_Pockets Empty_Pockets is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NEPA
Posts: 306
Re: 1 ton regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer12 View Post
I seem to average 10 nights in the garage for every day on the trail...
You'll still spend almost as much if not the same amount of time in the garage...the bigger axles we're more suited for the weight of my wheels and tires but I would still pop locking hubs often if I got any wheel hop, and the driveshaft I ended up having to replace after I smashed it on a rock. The parts just ended up being more expensive.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stroker - any regrets? Boatwrench Non-Tech / Off Topic 27 March 1st, 2016 22:31
Jeep Regrets Jamescad04 South East Chapter 58 September 27th, 2010 09:52
Cage Regrets/Likes Dislikes Starboard M Modified Tech Discussion 44 July 26th, 2009 12:26
Regrets on full width axles cemeyer Modified Tech Discussion 5 April 27th, 2009 07:14
Regrets...Earlier cruise control advice MarkdaleXJ OEM Tech Discussion 3 July 6th, 2005 19:37


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014