• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intake/Exhaust Manifold Woes

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I tried to get an exhaust manifold out of a junkyard the other day. I found one now that I'm lined up to get thats already off, so thats not a problem now. My problem is I was trying to get the intake manifold off but it was hot and I didnt have the patience to look for the bolts. I got the 5 or 6 along the top. How many more are holding that thing on? If there are some on the bottom HOW THE HECK do you go about getting them off? As always, thanks for any help.

Just replaced a exhaust manifold this past weekend on a 92. There were 6 bolts between the intake and exhaust, split right down the middle of both. For the removal of the intake you do not have to remove the two on the very ends, they hold on the exhaust only and these should be the only ones visable along this row of 6 bolts. I used a 1/2" breaker with a straight 3" ext. with I believe a 14mm, check the size to a bolt on the very ends. All 4 bolts were removed with the above tool rather easy, then the intake will come off. Putting these 4 bolts is much harder to reach and thread by hand when reinstalling. Once threaded it is a bit easier. It is a pretty easy job, but looks overwhelming at the beginning.

Thanks a lot, I will probably try and tackle it myself. I gotta take my time though, I get frustrated real easily. One more question for you guys, is there a seal or anything that needs to be welded between the front pipe and exhaust manifold? I don't have a welder. I just dont understand how that would seal without being welded.

Here is a good write up on the exhaust change out. http://www.gljt.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=21
I purchased a gasket kit on E-bay that included the gasket, donut and 2 new bolts and nuts for this front pipe manifold junction, as you call it. This donut goes in between these two pipe joints and gets clamped or crimped by these two bolts and their flanges. Carefully push the donut onto the manifold as far as possible, I hammered very gingerly, and then tighten the two bolts and nuts as tight as I could possibly get them. The tightening of these two bolts and getting the 4 bolts started in the threads as stated in prior e-mail are the hardest parts of this install, IMO!

There are 9 total bolts and 2 nuts on studs holding the two manifolds in place. Make sure you grab the cone washers as well while doing the removal; they hold the pieces together as none of the bolts actually pass through the manifold. I did this replacement yesterday, you may have to remove your power steering pump depending on year; there are three bolts passing through the pump so removing the aux fan may also be a good idea to provide access.

I already have the combination gasket so it looks like Im gonna just need the donut seal thing. Thanks for the help.

Chippo said:
Here is a good write up on the exhaust change out. http://www.gljt.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=21
I purchased a gasket kit on E-bay that included the gasket, donut and 2 new bolts and nuts for this front pipe manifold junction, as you call it. This donut goes in between these two pipe joints and gets clamped or crimped by these two bolts and their flanges. Carefully push the donut onto the manifold as far as possible, I hammered very gingerly, and then tighten the two bolts and nuts as tight as I could possibly get them. The tightening of these two bolts and getting the 4 bolts started in the threads as stated in prior e-mail are the hardest parts of this install, IMO!

do you have to be a member to read this article? I just keep getting the "news" page without the full text of the article.

TIA

Thats true. I later found that out. LOL.

Back