• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter Adapter Pain!!!!

pancake

NAXJA Forum User
So I was trying to unbolt that adapter (T-60 bolt) and for the life of me I coldn't even budge it. Can anyone help? Is there any technique that makes this easier? I thought this was an easy job to change the o-rings. :(

I was able to put my XJ on a lift to turn out that bolt. I ended up using a 3 ft piece of pipe on the end of the ratchet. The toolcrib did not have a breaker bar to loan me so they gave me that.

Anyway, I put the socket on the ratchet and turned it slowly using steady pressure not a big tug. I think an 18 or 24 inch breaker bar would do the trick.

Also you may want to read on www.madxj.com to look at all hit pictures on changing the oil filter mount.

Since you have the Torx fastener, you COULD use a small pipe wrench on it. My old motor had one of those and I could see that someone had done that to get it off. I've also read that people take the motor mount loose on that side and jack up the motor a little to get better access. (IMHO too much work) Go to Madxj and read their write up. You may want to change out some parts while you are at it.

Back