• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No spark and weird starts questions

altrocker1

NAXJA Forum User
so i have a 2 part question...because now i have multiple problems

98 XJ 4.0 with 210,000....runs like a champ...when it starts

problem 1 is a recurring problem that has been happening for some time....i find myself getting no response a lot when i turn the key. i can hear the fuel pump relay click and all of the electrics work just fine, but nobody home on the starter. i replaced the starter and the negative wire's (due to another grounding issue) still the same problem. now it most frequently occurs on 2nd starts...for instance it will most likely happen if i start the jeep, drive 3 minutes to the gas station and shut it down. after that...nothing. battery is fairly new and tests fine, and 2 things will get it started. 1) waiting an hour or so. 2) turning the key back and forth relentlessly until it feels like my arm is falling off. then by some miracle of god, and out of nowhere...she cranks over and starts. could it be the starter relay? ignition switch?

problem 2 is now much more serious and i assume it is unrelated. For the last 5 years VERY sporadiacally on a start (usually a hot start) the engine will run very rough and feel like it is not hitting on all cylinders. it happens about twice a year (sometimes more frequently). usually 2-3 restarts makes it go away, but sometimes letting it sit for a few hours does the trick as well. it goes from feeling like an XJ on its last leg to running like brand new in an instant. now i dont know if it is linked to my final problem which is a complete lack of firing today. engine cranks, but NO fire...its getting gas to the injector rail, but no pops. i have not tested the spark, but what is the likelyhood that these problems are caused by the distributor? it has been raining like hell here the last two days and she ran fine when i shut her off two days ago, but has been sitting out in the heavy rain since then. any initial thoughts? cap and rotor are about 100k miles old

Problem no. 1: high probability it is the NSS (auto) or clutch switch (manual). Problem no. 2: determine if no spark. If no spark, probability it is early stage of thermal failure of the crank sensor. If spark, may have issues with synch sensor in the distributor.

Back