• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Annual Swamp Lake Trail run July 15-17

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
The annual Swamp Lake Trail XJ trip will be July 15-17. I've lost track of how many times we've done this run, but this has to be the 8th or 9th trip. We've had 25-30 rigs the last few years. It's always a good time, with a fun trail, great camping location next to a lake, and good friends. The schedule is to meet up Thursday evening at our usual camping spot at Dinkey Creek (I'll post directions when we get closer) and hit the trail Friday morning, then spend both Friday and Saturday nights at Grouse Lake, finishing the trail on Sunday. You can hike, swim, boat, fish, or just sit around and BS.

We're adding a new twist to the trip this year. Mil Thornton, our favorite cook, will be cooking dinner on Friday evening and breakfast on Sunday morning. This should make it even more relaxed setting up camp on Friday and packing up on Sunday morning. The food will likely be $25 per rig, and we'll firm that up as soon as we can. I know that's a deal for a family, and a lot for a single, but it cuts down on what we have to shop for and pack. We'll also do our usual pot luck dinner on Sat.

This is a moderate trail so recommended equipment is rock rails, 31" tires, and a locker or limited slip.

This trip started out as a SoCal XJ list run but has gradually become more of a NorCal run. It would be nice to get more of the SoCal gang back on this trip....it's always a real good one. If you'd like to get one good fix of Sierra wheeling in this summer, this is the trip to do it on.

Here's a link to pics of last years trip:
Swamp Lake '04

Captain Ron said:
Fit's in with my "Escape from the Deserts", summer '05 campaign...

--ron

Yep....summer time is for the Sierra's. :)

Hey Richard how far (how many hours) is it from LA/OC to the trail?

It's roughly three hours from Bakersfield, so probably 4.5 to 5.5 hours depending on where you live.

Porch Puppy said:
I see Big Red is going on the Swamp run... :bawl: :twak: So Lisa and I will go on the Swamp run..
Andy

I think he finally got the message he is not ready for JV. Especially with how hard the a/c will need to work at that time.

I should also be in for the trip.

-Mike

I'll come on out if you promise to tow my life-less car-cass out of the mountains if need be!!
This time I'll check all the fuses first! :laugh3:
and what the hell do any of you know about the desert in July anyway??
Rick R :sunshine:

Joe said:
I have missed out the last couple of years but Swamp Lake here I come. Do we pay in advance or at the trail head?

You can pay in advance or at the trailhead. :)

Since we'll be buying the meat and other supplies, it would be nice to collect most of it in advance, both to have the funds and to confirm the amounts. There's plenty of time to get into those details, right now I just want everyone to be able to get it on the calendar.

Jump This said:
I'll come on out if you promise to tow my life-less car-cass out of the mountains if need be!!
This time I'll check all the fuses first! :laugh3:
and what the hell do any of you know about the desert in July anyway??

Rick I kind of owe you from the SoCal Jambo, so I will be more than happy to get you out. Sounds like a great trip, count me in.
Mark

I left the Jambo owing those who got me out... :wave:
I didn't think anyone owed me anything!! :laugh3:
okay....maybe Criss....but what does anyone from Nevada know anyway! :wierd:
Hows the scuba diving up there anyway?

Naw Rick, you and Goatman Showed a noobie to group 4x4ing, what it means to go out with a group of XJers. Attitude and willingness to help, I owe you more than the beer I handed you.
Mark

Back